PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

ACICI - new instructor website

Wet
IB3 Member Level 1

ACICI - new instructor website

Post by Wet »

What are your thoughts, I'm not sure about the US$20 yearly fee :oh: and the motivation behind starting it up but I guess I'll wait and see what its like when the 30day free trial runs out.

http://www.internationalcastinginstructors.com/ it looks like it has a few well known Directors.
Regards,
Andrew Connell
Chris Dore
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris Dore »

I dont see any benefit personally.
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

Wet wrote:What are your thoughts, I'm not sure about the US$20 yearly fee :oh:
Given the fact that there are a number of instructor forums available for free this new one should offer something more for the money. What that could be I can't imagine.
Aitor is not like us, he is Spanish, and therefore completely mad.
Cheers
, Paul

No discutas nunca con un idiota, la gente podría no notar la diferencia.
Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Interesting!
Would be good to hear from Lars, Mark and Mac what the benefits are!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Wet
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Wet »

Out of interest Lasse, did you receive an email from Denise about this new site this week? a few that I've asked didn't (MCI's) I would have thought them targets to join :???:
Regards,
Andrew Connell
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Andrew

I didn't, but I guess it's still early days and they are pooling the different organisations for emails :)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
easterncaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by easterncaster »

I recv'd an email from Denise .... and I joined.

Craig
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

My experience of an umbrella association in the UK, trying to deal with different certification/qualification standards was not good. I don't think it will work. What is required is for one of the associations to become the standard. The FFF can do that, with democracy, professional standards, qualified and professional examiners and a solid continuing ed programme. AAPGAI can also do it, by diversifying. Either of these two options I would think has a greater chance for success. Still a truly democratic and new International association could also work. I just haven't given up on the other options yet, and am unlikely to do so for some time to come. I think we're close on both counts.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Hal Jordan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Hal Jordan »

ACICI isn't an organization and it isn't about uniting warring factions in the UK. It's simply a site where people who are certified instructors from any organization world wide (not just the UK) can discuss fly casting instruction and how to become better instructors. It isn't open to people who aren't certified instructors so, hopefully, there should be less noise. Since it isn't open to non-instructors the membership isn't expected to have a very large membership and there is little chance for advertising to subsidize it. The $20 is to help fund the site. If you think $20 is too much then join the site and tell them so. You have 30 days of free membership to do so. But let me just ask one question first - if you see value in the organization then what dollar value would you place on it? i.e. what would you be willing to pay to join and help maintain the site?
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

ACICI isn't an organization

I must have misread the intro..

Here are some things to consider about ACICI

You might be asking why should I join another organization? A good question.

The answer is simple - this site is for all certified casting instructors.

If on the other hand, as you believe, it's simply a private forum for instructors then, no, I don't believe in it. I think non-"instructors" have much to offer - and I learn as much, and in many cases more, from them than anyone else.

Kitchens get hot.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Magnus
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Magnus »

ACICI isn't an organization...

Association, first word in the rather tangled name, means it's an organization Walter.
Calling the FFF instructors behind this initiative 'Founding Directors' suggests it may be a somewhat pompous organization - in my humble opinion :D

I can't see the full picture of the ambitions of this organization but I can read it is being set up by FFF instructors, most of whom I know from Sexyloops. I have to say I think this organization treads on the toes of Sexyloops - and if this was my campfire I would not allow it to be advertised here.

As for the fee element. I'd suggest anyone reading this, who has been reading Sexyloops for years - for free - who is tempted to pay $20 per year, should consider paying a contribution to the upkeep of Sexyloops.

Magnus
Casting Definitions

"X-rays will prove to be a hoax."
"Radio has no future."
"Heavier than air flying machines are impossible."
Lord Kelvin
Hal Jordan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Hal Jordan »

Paul Arden wrote:If on the other hand, as you believe, it's simply a private forum for instructors then, no, I don't believe in it. I think non-"instructors" have much to offer - and I learn as much, and in many cases more, from them than anyone else.
Which is what SL does - creates an open forum for anyone to discuss and learn. Are you saying that instructors shouldn't be allowed to have a private forum?
Hal Jordan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Hal Jordan »

Magnus - do you see ACICI as competition for SL? What do you think they are competing for?

Money?

Members?

Please explain how.

As far as I know, this thread was not started by a member of ACICI and to the best of my knowledge nobody from ACICI has spammed this forum. If certified instructors who received the email happen to also be members of SL then that is purely coincidental based on the fly casting connection.

Given that ACICI is intended for certified instructors only and is relying on word of mouth to get the word out I think they would be just as happy to have this thread deleted. Maybe the not so pompous leaders of this forum can set up a filter so that everytime ACICI is entered in a post it is replaced with the word barstool.
Wet
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Wet »

Hal Jordan wrote:As far as I know, this thread was not started by a member of ACICI and to the best of my knowledge nobody from ACICI has spammed this forum. If certified instructors who received the email happen to also be members of SL then that is purely coincidental based on the fly casting connection.
I've certainly taken up the 30 day free membership for now :cool:

I'm curious about the targeted instructors, at the moment there is little content and not much motivating comment. I'm surprised that all the MCI's weren't first to be targeted, maybe they were and the blokes I've asked had emails in their junk mail :oh:

Who knows, down the track it might be a great resource?
Regards,
Andrew Connell
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes Walter, I think instructors should have a private forum, within their respective associations. In fact I've argued this for a long time. Some associations have this. However lumping all the associations together in one private forum, I see no benefit and many difficulties.

Since I vote at AAPGAI elections I guess that makes me political? Private forums can give an excellent assistance to democracy and internal running, but an association that isn't an organisation, that is made up of members of differing associations, serves no purpose that I can see.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions