PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Ronan's page - Salmon farming in Ireland

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes great, thanks Ronan. The more momentum the better.
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Ronan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ronan »

cheers Ronan, the more people on our side the better.. i just signed on to copy the front page i wrote to forward to some people at the Federation of Flyfishers in the US. i want one more big push for the petition before i print it off and bring it to all the relevant ministers. (there is probably only one who will meet me) they have not replied to one email i sent them. i believe they dont give a fuck about the environment let alone this issue. do what you can and thanks!
Ronan..
work to live.
An Griannach
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by An Griannach »

No problem, I will get on to it straight away.
Hopefully should be able to get some airtime on R na G this Friday between 3 and 4 to highlight the issue and also to get people onto the petition site.
I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Rónán
Ronan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ronan »

excellent stuff.. i just sent 2 emails to the FFF so between everything this petition should get one more big push.. maybe the biggest yet! I'll arrange a meeting with the local minister soon. i'll have a hard copy of the petition. :D
work to live.
NZneil
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by NZneil »

Show him some passion Ronan, but please dont demonstrate any stunts! :)
Nothing more boring than an expert that never fails.. - Saltflyer
Will
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Will »

Missed the latest developments (dunno why!). Great job Ronan(s).

Let us know how you get on.

W.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
wjc
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by wjc »

I hope you have better luck than we have had here. I used to fish the Bangor Salmon Pool in Maine USA as a teen for sriped bass on primitive bulctails tied with sewing thread, and saw only one salmon in many, many hours and days of fishing.

Back then, all the navigable Maine rivers were being polluted daily by paper companies, which owned 52% of the land mass of Maine, grinding pulp and dumping sulfites and other chemicals into the rivers.

Finally, a Governor with the balls to go after the pulp companies was elected who put an end to the blatant corporate dumping, and the Penobscot Salmon Club membership exploded.

The salmon came back to the extent that by strilper fishing buddy quit fishing the Mirimichi, Matan and Madapedia - fishing was that good at the Bangor Salmon pool again.

He caught 4 salmon before school one morning (school teacher by then) on the Brewer side of the Bangor salmon pool, right where we fished for strilpers as early teens in Junior High school.

Then came agribusiness again in the form of Salmon Farms. The Penobscot is now closed to salmon fishing - but who would want to - there are no fish.

The Penobscot Salmon Club, which I joined in the 70's while living in Maine, and which had been established in 1884 - the first in the US - is likely going to become forgotten history.

For many years, the first salmon caught at the salmon pool went directly to the President of the US - no more.

I signed your petition, and sincerely hope you have better luck than we did.

Cheers,
Jim