PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Climate change... - ... this is so annoying ...

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.
Gallah
IB3 Member Level 1

Climate change... - ... this is so annoying ...

Post by Gallah »

I'm going out on a limb here and assume that this forum is not dominated by nutty climate-change-deniers...

On another forum I frequent, one of these types just posted this link to former GREENPEACE co-founder expousing his "climate sceptic" views on FOX News (where else?).

http://www.theblaze.com/stories....warming

What a fat headed idiot.

Mind you, I'm not saying I'm 100% sure that man made climate change is occurring. I don't know. What I am saying is that, given the scientific opinion, the only intelligent conclusion is that it most probably is, it's not worth gambling on, and we're going to have to stop using oil anyway, 'cause it's going to run out, so there's no point in f--king around whichever way you look at it.

And the scientific opinion is that there is not one single scientific institution on the planet that dissents on man made climate change. Not one university, not one research institute, not one centre of learning, not one scientific organisation. The last one was the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, which in 2007 updated its 1999 statement which dissented. Now, it's only fringe loners that like to get their stupid heads on FOX news (because nobody else gives them the time of day) by disagreeing.

It's infuriating that these types manage to perpetuate the myth in popular media that there is some kind of "scientific debate" happening about this issue, and fuel the rants of the Glenn Beck types out there.

And the most infuriating thing of all is that these climate-deniers are not smarter than the rest of us, “uncovering the truth”, and "not falling for the bandwagon-jumping fads", as they like to imagine themselves. The reality is, they’re the most gullible of us all. Falling for the biggest climate hoax there is; because there IS a hoax going on. It’s the one that gets gullible fools to believe this kind of spin and misinformation that is being perpetrated by fatcat billionaire oil tycoons for the purpose of making themselves even fatter and richer.

Yes, this is related to fishing. Excuse the rant. Sometimes I just need to vent.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

The most worrying thing of all, is the possibility that the problem is bigger than the politicians can cope with - for example fish stocks in the North Sea - which after all, is a considerably smaller problem but obviously completely out of their depth.

If this is the case we're absolutely fucked, despite the fact that we could actually still do something about it.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
pyko
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by pyko »

Paul Arden wrote:...despite the fact that we could actually still do something about it.
Sorry to be a harbinger of doom, but I don't have enough faith in human nature to do anything about it.

That and the fact that the west preaching to the developing countries to ease back on industrialisation aint gonna work...

My view is that although we don't know for sure that it's man-made, it sure as hell is being exacerbated by human meddling. But...
If you were smart, wouldn't you take precautions not to make it worse anyway - just in case?
You can observe a lot just by watching.
Yogi Berra
alex vulev
BBBB No2

Post by alex vulev »

pyko wrote:
Paul Arden wrote:...despite the fact that we could actually still do something about it.

Sorry to be a harbinger of doom, but I don't have enough faith in human nature to do anything about it.

That and the fact that the west preaching to the developing countries to ease back on industrialisation aint gonna work...

If you were smart, wouldn't you take precautions not to make it worse anyway - just in case?

being greedy is more powerful force in humans than being smart
Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,
GEM Skues,The Way Of A Trout With A Fly
Rich Knoles
flybitch 2008

Post by Rich Knoles »

Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

I'm going out on a limb here and assume that this forum is not dominated by nutty climate-change-deniers...

Ooops..... :)

Doesn't take long for the good old independently funded Cato intitute to pop up again does it.... :glare:
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
flyfishfairwx
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by flyfishfairwx »

I cannot get the link to open ?? conspiracy ?

error 404
As in the army I have never had a bad day fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable ones but never a bad one.
Everybody must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Tying and believe I will
A member of the order of the Odonata
Vice-President of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing CANADA
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

works just fine here, Ray. don't worry, you didn't miss anything...
Rich Knoles
flybitch 2008

Post by Rich Knoles »

Stoatstail50 wrote:Doesn't take long for the good old independently funded Cato intitute to pop up again does it.... :glare:
Might need to climb off that horse Mark. The Kool Aid drinkers money trail isn't much better.

Funny there is no debate. Deniers are dismissed as nuts and their work is dismissed.

Sounds much more like religion, rather than science.
Morsie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Morsie »

Given that its always changed, always has, always will, and that its going to go one way or another regardless of human involvement I'll take a warming trend over a cooling trend any day.

Climate stability is the great myth.

Morsie
That was the river - this is the sea........
Mike Rubino
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mike Rubino »

Ive posted this before .

In 1998 I attended by chance a seminar on global warming by physicists from Princeton University which was given at Princeton University. This is the place Albert Einstein chose to hang out in the last years of his life. It is certaiinly not a palce that harbors alot of conservative thought.

The featured lecturer of the day had a double PHD in Physics and Meteorlogy . He obviously modeled himself after AE in hair do and dress . There were all sorts of smart people there pushing various agenda , a majority of who were global warmists.

This guy really didnt bite on that theory to the consternation of the immediate doom crowd . He also pissed the glober warmer dissers when he wouldnt agree that doomsayers were making alot of to do about nothing.

With charts theories formulars etc. which I admit were above my head he layed out something that was quite simple and probably about as accurate as any today.

One was the sky is not falling immediately .

Second the earth warmed a little over a degree from 1865 thru the mid 90s. It is on a course to warm faster over the next century than the past 140 + years.

Do we have a problem ? Yes !

Is it a bad and as immediate as the kick ass crowd of the global warmist say it is ? No

Should we do something about it ?

Yes

What and when becomes more difficult to answer.

We can all do something in a small way even skipping eating meat a few times a week, eating foods locally grown cutting down on constant use of our cars would help as would walking and riding a bike now and then to pick up groceries, shorten our trips take less jet trips etc..

Im pessimestic that our governmemnt can solve much as this thing has gotten so political.So I in my small way try to do alot of the latter.
If its moving, if you see a swirl, break,bait pop, a slick, cast ! We only get so many chances no matter what we do.Take them when you can.
Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Rich Knoles wrote:
Stoatstail50 wrote:Doesn't take long for the good old independently funded Cato intitute to pop up again does it.... :glare:
Might need to climb off that horse Mark. The Kool Aid drinkers money trail isn't much better.

Funny there is no debate. Deniers are dismissed as nuts and their work is dismissed.

Sounds much more like religion, rather than science.
Did you ever read the IPCC reports Rich ? they're freely available on the net.

I think its fair to say that who disagree who plainly are nuts or charlatans are dismissed as nuts and charlatans. Those who aren't, are free to challenge the mainstream science and they do. There is constant debate about it Rich and mountains of ongoing and occasionally conflicting research, something which is plainly absent in the blind dogma peddled by faith based religions.

Anyway a political challenge is not the same as a scientific challenge. It doesn't matter how many objectors you get to sign an open letter to the President the evidence is not changed one iota and these things are not exactly decided by a vote anyway.

Sadly, if all you get, information wise, is the stuff processed through PR campaigns promoted by Cato and the Heartland Institute and all the other carefully crafted independent "think tanks" that you guys seem to breed over there, then you may find your data a little skewed.

Climate stability is the great myth

Yep, thats why no-one.. anywhere... is discussing it.... :)
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Morsie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Morsie »

Seems to be what everyone wants Stoats, climatic stability, because they sure can't accept that its going to change regardless of what we do. Its going to get either warmer or cooler than it is now. Which would you prefer Stoats, a warm and balmy England or a cooler phase? Or would you prefer it to remain just the same as its been throughout your life - that's called stability. So which one would you prefer, you have 3 choices, warmer, cooler or the same?

We've just had some massive floods in Australia after years of drought. When the drought was on it was all due to climate change even though drought is almost a natural state for this continent. The entire continent was going to dry up and governments started building vastly expensive desalination plants.

Now we have floods and according to our numpty of a Greens leader the floods are also down to climate change - even though there's precedents within recorded history of much bigger floods. So are we going to dry up and burn or are we going to be washed away?

FFS Stoats wake up and smell the roses then just go fishing. As if there's not enough to worry about apart from the friggin weather.

Morsie
That was the river - this is the sea........
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

As a little boy, my dad took me on his fossil hunting trips. He thaught me about climate change and told me that we were probably slipping into another ice age. That was commonly accepted knowledge and no one, politicians or otherwise, were worried a bit. Like Morsie said, climate change is inevitable, whatever we do.
The thing I don't like about the whole climate change debate is that it is hyped. Another tool to put some fear into people. And a great tool for people with narcisistic personality disorders, like Al Gore, to get their fat gobs in the limelight. The message that water levels will rise a metre over the next hundred years doesn't do much to someone who used to live 11 metres below sealevel.
I do believe that things are going to change. We are living on a stone marble with a molten core. And the only thing we are is a by-product of the chemical reactions which happened over the billions of years.
Whatever greenhouse gasses we produce, we will never be able to match the amount produced by plants during the Carboniferous era, which resulted in the Permian a.k.a. the desert era. There is a resemblance between the Carboniferous era an ours. Like now there were a lot of nasty, slimy bugs around in the carboniferous. The difference is that theirs just crept though the mud and ours make films like the Inconvenient truth.

Cheers,
Jeroen
Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Morsie[/quote]
So which one would you prefer, you have 3 choices, warmer, cooler or the same?

This is neat....is it just me that gets to choose or can we all have a go ?... :)
Casting Definitions