PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

C&R in UK stocked trout fisheries - Interesting study

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.
Will
IB3 Member Level 1

C&R in UK stocked trout fisheries - Interesting study

Post by Will »

A seemingly well-constructed and thoughtful study into fishery manager's attitudes and experiences with C&R.

W.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Very interesting, Will, how things have changed. I remember how C&R would see you thrown off Ardeligh Reservoir when I started flyfishing. We even had to kill the pike! When Hanningfield introduced a C&R option it was priced at almost three times the price, because "all the fish you return die"!

Same with Salmon fishing, remember the arguments against C&R for Salmon in the UK?

All of this has happened in the last 17 years. Anyone who thinks that the elephant is too big to eat only has to look at this.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

It really has changed in a lot of countries.
In Norway we now read "fish was bleeding" in many catch (and in case kill) reports. Lots of Salmons are going to be released. A huge change within a few years.

Same on the Baltic coast for Sea trout. 20 years back I saw lots of fisherman putting 20+ Sea trouts in their car on a good (catching) day. These days I almost never see this to happen anymore but see people releasing lots of their fish instead.

Internetforums are probably partially responsable here, too.
Lots of killing pics have been critized...

However we still have to learn and teach tons about HOW to release. This is what I also see!
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de