PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

interesting cast - what is it ?

totsy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by totsy »

Of course there is such a cast. Usually the result is a very large change of direction. I'm sure the Snap can be made under or over the rod tip. It's a type of aeriel double but not what I would call 'an' aeriel double. A true aeriel double is a far superior cast.

Ta, Lee
Orvis Endorsed

www.doublehaul.co.uk/
cesarwf
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by cesarwf »

Another one to practice... :-)
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Is it only on my computer, or is there a cut during line's shooting being made?
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
totsy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by totsy »

I know what you mean. I just thought it was the frame rate of you tube. May be we are getting a bit forensic!

Ta, Lee.
Orvis Endorsed

www.doublehaul.co.uk/
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Well I was going to say his lay down ends up pretty straight and looks like a relatively soft presentation of the fly. And that is what counts most in fishing. :)

Not 100% sure if the lay down matches with exactly that cast since there was a cut. So I should be careful with my statement above :cool: .

For sure we could teach to be a bit more relaxed with such a short line (optimizing timing) and teach the 180° principle focusing on the anchor being straight in line with the target mainly.
Also we might teach him about anchor positioning and how to control it.

But all in all I also thing this cast was filmed by what I call the angle of truth. Most caster's casting looks pretty ugly from that point of view. Mine included :p .
I would want to see more than just this one motion from just one angle before saying this was a very bad cast.

It's always easy to call a cast to look bad on video. Often much more difficult without video.
I wouldn't wonder if that cast would almost look pretty cool if the video would have been made from the side view.

Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hmm, guy throws a pretty relaxed cast, ends with straight leader and fly at the far end, yes there's a bit of a bloody L, but not much and it apperantly doesn't collapse the cast does it?

Actually looks like a funky cast worth giving some time when the water stops being solid around here :cool:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

For me to make a Snapped Double, I would assume an aerielised Snap cast, followed by a large upstream Sweep of the rod, then everything settles, before the rest of the DS is resumed.

If everything stays on the downstream side of the caster then I don't see how it could be grouped under the DS heading. For me a DS involves taking line upstream that you then return downstream to form the D-Loop.

Now I have a Snake Roll variant which involves two back to back snaps perpendicular to the line pickup. One snaps over the top, and the other snaps underneath.

What I'm seeing in the video is half of this. Something more akin to Lee Cumming's teaching of the Turbo Spey (not to be confused with Simon's - which is a hauled Single Spey).

However I can see how the family can come together in this way, as indeed does the snapped and aerielised Single Spey - because the only difference between a Snapped Aerielised Single Spey and a Snapped Snake Roll is the change of direction.

It all depends on the structure we apply to casts.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
springer
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by springer »

Its just a hurried double spey, the rod tip goes through all of the standard movements to be a double spey, he takes the rod tip far enough upstream and with enough speed to move the anchor to where he needs it, then he just doesn't give the line time to settle before sweeping into his d-loop.

It avoids much of the surface disturbance created with a more conventional DS, Ive seen it done a few times before, once by a guy with a 60' head and it worked fine for him also.

The film is about a bunch of young bucks so is understandable, they havent learned how to slow down yet, it shows in many of the casts :D
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

That's a fair analyse to me, Alan. :)

And I also agree with Lasse saying this is not a bad cast.
:cool:
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Hmm, guy throws a pretty relaxed cast, ends with straight leader and fly at the far end, yes there's a bit of a bloody L, but not much and it apperantly doesn't collapse the cast does it?

Actually looks like a funky cast worth giving some time when the water stops being solid around here :cool:

that's exactly what i was thinking, Lasse. it works and works well and i was even thinking the bloody-L might be on purpose, like to not foul on the leader with treble hooks.

Lee, can you tell us more on this cast ?

i'm having a hard time contacting the guys who made the vid.

cheers,
marc
totsy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by totsy »

Paul Arden wrote:However I can see how the family can come together in this way, as indeed does the snapped and aerielised Single Spey - because the only difference between a Snapped Aerielised Single Spey and a Snapped Snake Roll is the change of direction.

Cheers, Paul
Or which side you are placing the anchor??

Ta, Lee.
Orvis Endorsed

www.doublehaul.co.uk/
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

These casts are not just stream casts. In each case the anchor is placed on-shoulder for an on-shoulder cast and off-shoulder for a backhand cast.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Paul Arden wrote:Now I have a Snake Roll variant which involves two back to back snaps perpendicular to the line pickup. One snaps over the top, and the other snaps underneath.
:cool:
can we see it ?
:)
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

please ! :D
totsy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by totsy »

On rivers, llyns, seas and moons there and sides, line on the dangle and anchor placements.

Ta, Lee.
Orvis Endorsed

www.doublehaul.co.uk/