PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

duffer in action - any comments

James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

duffer in action - any comments

Post by James9118 »

I thought I'd post a video of my attempts with a double handed rod - I'll apologise in advance for the very poor quality of the film.

This is only the 3rd time I've attempted spey casting with a double handed rod, so I'm a complete novice. Things that I think I spot that are wrong are; blown anchor? (hard to see) - I'm using a relatively short head, am I putting too much in the D-loop or am I over-powering? I also bring my left hand directly under my right - my single handed style trying to dominate? I think I also push out with my top hand rather than pull with the bottom.

Any others?

youtube
Mike Thomas
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mike Thomas »

Looks pretty good to me! The only thing I would say is try to keep your arms closer to your body. it makes the casting stroke more compact and helps with overpowering in my view.
As I said though, mostly it looks like you are doing just fine.
All the best.
Mike
Snake Pliskin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Snake Pliskin »

Howdy James. You using fishing gear or tournament casting stuff?
James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by James9118 »

Snake Pliskin wrote:Howdy James. You using fishing gear or tournament casting stuff?
Hey Steve,

It was a 15ft Z-axis #10 (I think). Floating, shooting-head - not sure what weight but quite short (the running line was thick fly-line type stuff).
springer
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by springer »

Most importantly nobody can see anything about what you are doing on that clip so I wouldnt pay much heed to any feedback.

If you want good advice you need to provide something distinguishable and long enough for us to constructively work with.
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

springer wrote:Most importantly nobody can see anything about what you are doing on that clip so I wouldnt pay much heed to any feedback.

If you want good advice you need to provide something distinguishable and long enough for us to constructively work with.
Hi my name is nobody....

Try and enlarge the slowmo clip, and buy a bigger screen... I can see quite a bit on a crappy 10 inch shit laptop....

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Jim

That doesn't look like your typical short fishing head, so how long is it really :)

First of, next time, move to the end of the pier, your're blowing that anchor because most of it isn't an anchor ;)
But it doesn't seem to hurt the cast that much, and the rest looks pretty ok, very good actually for someone only trying it out for the 3rd time :cool: But drop the herolift at the end, crap starting position for fishing the cast out, unless there's a reason to get 30 feet of slackline in there at the rodtip :p

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by James9118 »

Hi Lasse,

I honestly don't know - it's a shops demo outfit that I grabbed from a rack, about 40ft maybe (it did have a long leader on it). I had about 4ft of overhang, I guess that's where I should be?

Now you've pointed out the pier thing it's obvious :blush:.

I wanted to see what the loops looked like on video (but failed, I think the focus was somewhere random :ooops: ) - they look pointy from where I'm stood but not that tight, what sort of loop height should I be looking for?

I take it my hand position during the f/c is wrong? It's been suggested to me that I should swap them over and cast left hand up.

I'll work on the show-boating next time I get my hands on an outfit :kungfo: I'll probably book a lesson whilst I'm at it.

Cheers, James
Snake Pliskin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Snake Pliskin »

it's a shops demo outfit that I grabbed from a rack, about 40ft maybe (it did have a long leader on it). I had about 4ft of overhang, I guess that's where I should be?

Stop casting it like it's an 18 footer with a 100ft line and you'll be alright! :p
springer
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by springer »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:
springer wrote:Most importantly nobody can see anything about what you are doing on that clip so I wouldnt pay much heed to any feedback.

Hi my name is nobody....

Try and enlarge the slowmo clip, and buy a bigger screen... I can see quite a bit on a crappy 10 inch shit laptop....

Cheers
Lasse
Nobody isnt the name I would give you Lasse, clever shite would fit the bill better :closedeyes:

We have the second half of a cast in blury slo-mo to comment on and that's on my 27" imac. As I already suggested there cant be very much constructive feedback offered based on that clip.

Your contribution so far clearly reflects this...
sushiyummy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sushiyummy »

I can't see the line and rod tip against the clouds, so to me it is more of not having a sufficiently contrasting background to show up.

If you choose to re-record it, I would like to suggest wrapping the rod with teflon plumbers tape, and against a darker background.

After starting out with hands away from my body as your video reminds me, I ended up with my casting hands close to my body.

Good pick and anchor body moves as I didn't see any short cuts typical of beginners. But then I couldn't completely follow the tip and line as stated above.
James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by James9118 »

springer wrote:We have the second half of a cast in blury slo-mo to comment on
There isn't a first half - I haven't progressed that far yet with a DH'er :D .
springer
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by springer »

James9118 wrote:
springer wrote:We have the second half of a cast in blury slo-mo to comment on
There isn't a first half - I haven't progressed that far yet with a DH'er :D .
Im not knocking you James, there are lots of guys here who could give you some good help but without seeing the whole cast in reasonable quality anything offered isnt worth much IMHO.