PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Torque in Spey Casting

Magnus
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Magnus »

Hi Mac

Versions of a pulley metaphor have been around for some time. Of course it's invisible, it isn't really a pulley and the versions I've had presented to me seem to vary, don't seem consistent. With due respect that pulley may as well be pink, fluffy and put there by invisible unicorns :D

I guess many of us use 'it's like' to help understand phenomena. Maybe that's a quick fix for something we don't have a better way to explain. Maybe we are aware that 'it's like' includes 'it isn't', however I don't think we are always aware of that and I doubt that helps understanding.

Still trying to comprehend how you can twist a rod through 400 degrees during a stroke. The tentacle hypothesis still lurks :D
Casting Definitions

"X-rays will prove to be a hoax."
"Radio has no future."
"Heavier than air flying machines are impossible."
Lord Kelvin
Merlin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Merlin »

The control of the loop (pulley) is part of every cast but it is not sufficient per se to describe completely the physics.
Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they wont´play if they're maltreated.
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
mac brown
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mac brown »

I finally got it put up last night from my phone. :D Thanks Aitor! :D Now we have an account.
https://vimeo.com/47700736

Merlin, Why? :D Does every cast have tension in a fly and rod leg? If no tension, no pulley, no rod bend. Seems crystal clear to the poets? :D Actually amazing that poet lingo almost had the engineers going Merlin.

Magnus, Some nights it is pink and fluffy! That is the cool thing explaining something from the poetic school of teaching. I explained it somewhat early in the thread but I just do not have the time to go much deeper. I had eight hour day really diving into the pink and fluffy for the CE and I am too damn lazy to type all of that over again and upload from a slow cell phone. :p
:D
Magnus
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Magnus »

Well done Mac, I applaud your persistence and getting the clip up.

With due respect we're getting pink and fluffy again. I can do that, you were right. And the advantages of doing that while holding a rod fitted with a line are...?

(If I seem a little grumpy it's because a pair of socks is trying to insult my intelligence :p no joke!)
Casting Definitions

"X-rays will prove to be a hoax."
"Radio has no future."
"Heavier than air flying machines are impossible."
Lord Kelvin
Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

I've just tried it Mac...the guys here are taking me to a hospital now, back soon... :oh:
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

extreme, Mac. me like !

get well soon, Mark :D :laugh: :D :p
Merlin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Merlin »

Mac
The rod is part of the equation, especially as long as the loop has not been shaped.
Merlin
Merlin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Merlin »

Tanks for the video. I cannot imagine using more than a 180 deg twist in practice. Beyond that, the tip might hit the ground.
Merlin
TrevH
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by TrevH »

Mac, thank you. Although I wasn't thinking I could cast anything by twisting the rod alone.

I Just wanted to see whether twisting the rod under load gave any meaningful movement of the rod tip that might be useful in the cast.

As it happens I do use a twisting and thrusting motion when roll casting, but:

A) in practice the twist is not along the line of the rod, it is off centre leading to a to a curved tip path, like the curve casts Mark mentioned in this thread; and

B) I think the main benefit I get from it is to control counterflex so I get a horizontally straighter rod leg to my loop by laying it slightly on its side.

I was interested to know if my analysis in B) was inaccurate or incomplete and if this was a similar technique to that described by the THCI Paul mentioned.

Cheers
Trev

PS - The guys at the repair shop on Bainbridge Island have been very patient with me in the past but I don't want to push it. I shan't be trying the snap t with the six ounce grip lead :-)

Why do I find this so much more stimulating than the day job ... Crikey! Is that the time! Lunch break over :-(
gordonjudd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by gordonjudd »

I Just wanted to see whether twisting the rod under load gave any meaningful movement of the rod tip that might be useful in the cast.

Trev,
I think you will find it depends on the what force from the line is applied to the tip. During the forward stroke where there is considerable acceleration force on the line the rod will bend back with considerable deflection.

The torsional spring constant of the tip is very small so if you twist the rod along the long axis of the rod while it is deflected the tip will stay in the same position but there will be some "winding" of the torsional spring in the rod because the reel seat will be pointing at a different angle than the tip. It requires torque applied at the butt to maintain that angular difference similar to the torque you feel when "spinning" a rod blank.

Put a rod in a spine finder with a tip mass hanging from the tip and rotate it. You will see the tip will still hang down in the same position as you rotate the butt. You will feel it takes more and more torque to rotate the rod to a point where the stripper guide is pointing 80-90 degrees from the equilibrium position. At around 90 degrees the rod will "snap" to a new equilibrium position and I have found will tend to jump off the spine finder as a result. Most of that torque is required to twist the big diameter of the butt. The torsional spring energy stored in the tip would be very small. I suspect you could twist the tip a revolution or two without much torque.

Thus I don't think the torsional spring energy in the rod is going to have much effect on the tip path until the deflection force of the line on the rod (or the rod on the line depending on how you want to look at it) is small at around RSP. With no tip force the twist in the tip will unwind, and might cause a small deviation in the tip path. You would probably need to take some high speed videos to see how big that effect might be.

Gordy
"Flyfishing: 200 years of tradition unencumbered by progress." Ralph Cutter
slack
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by slack »

Short Skagit Shooting heads ,Switch rods and poly leaders. Are their any guide lines for tippet length. And for the best bang for the buck ,whats the best tip to use on your Skajit Short . since you need several tips? Thanks in advance. slack