PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

surf casting in california

Doug M
IB3 Member Level 1

surf casting in california

Post by Doug M »

which line (13foot spey rod for 7-8 weight line) ?
crunch
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by crunch »

For my 7/8 rod which is slightly under rated I have mostly casted Rio AFS 8/9 (520gr) shooting heads. Performs overhead and Spey casts without overload. AFS long and thin front taper does not turn very big fly or even medium size when casting to strong head wind. Then I turn the head backwards and cast only OH. Tips of sinking AFS heads I have shortened which also reduces weight so they become easier to lift and Spey cast and then turn better flys which are usually weighted too.

Guideline DDC Connect has good overall performance because it has thicker tip and performs better with bigger fly. They have been discounted which makes DDC very good buy. But if you break shooting line and have only one it stops your fishing so buy floating rated 7/8 (or 8/9. Heavier becomes shorter) and intermediate 8/9 or (9/10). I like shorter sinking heads thats why one wt heavier. There is a length calculator in Guideline web page.

You need to shorten DDC back end (tune for your rod and casting style) and build loop but Guideline lines are very easy to weld.

My current favorite shooting line is 47lb Varivas Airs because it does not sink too bad. It is light and thick because of air channels and heat does not change it too soft.

Esa