PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Skajit short with sink tips and casting options

slack
IB3 Member Level 1

Skajit short with sink tips and casting options

Post by slack »

Would I be safe to say that a Snap T might be my best option when using a sink tip ,20' skajit short and a 11' medium action rod. Do I have any other options. Thanks slack
Snake Pliskin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Snake Pliskin »

For that setup the snap T/circle will be a winner, but you'll need one more! The snap T is used in neutral or upstream winds. For a downstream wind you'll need the double Spey. Both of those and you're set for anything. Steve.
slack
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by slack »

Thanks for your reply. slack
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

Larry, Don't forget with the skagit, the head is short enough that you can basically just do a simple slow lift and set down to reposition. I think Greg Pearson in "Spey to Z" likens it to driving a beer truck. Big load, no rush :cool:

Circle C is just a soft flop the line over the top of the rod
(line now upstream, rod points back downstream)
then just -> sweep -> fire.

Double is just lift and set it down
(line still downstream, rod now pointing upstream)
-> sweep -> fire.
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc
slack
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by slack »

Eric or Snake Pliskin or any one, can you tell me why this doesn't work for me ? I have a DH 11' 6wt with a skajit short 20' 375 gn head and a 12' tip 100 gr plus a 10' leader. Every thing seems very heavy, is the set up wrong or is it me. I am trying to use my tips from my SH 10 wt quad line but my rod doesn't want to co operate. Again thanks for your help in the past. Slack
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

Easy to get frustrated but hang in there. Some tuning on the setup and practice will make it come around. 11' is on the short end so it may be a bit touchy.

You may be a little long, tip plus leader at 20 seems a lot. If that's a sink tip then 10' leader is more than you probably want (try like 4' of straight). If that's a floating tip, I'd still try shorter. A couple feet can make a difference, just cut short amounts off at a time.

Does it feel heavy on the lift? Try not to go too fast and actually visualize picking it off rather than pulling immediately.

Possibly too much anchor or not at the end only. On the sweep, be sure not dip the tip path. Start pretty low then raise slighty as you sweep. At the end of the sweep, swing up to the fire position. The anchor should be just a couple feet of the tip. Watch the line peel off the water may help.

Anyone else jump in if you have more suggestions, advise or corrections.
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc
slack
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by slack »

Eric excellent ideas .I took all of your advice and I now have tips I can cast. I went from never gonna use them again, to about 80 percent happy with their performance. You were spot on. I am new to speying. I think with in a short time,patience and a little tweeking ,I will soon wonder why they were a problem for me.Again thanks for your advice. I Love this site! slack
White Hunter
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by White Hunter »

slack wrote:Would I be safe to say that a Snap T might be my best option when using a sink tip ,20' skajit short and a 11' medium action rod. Do I have any other options. Thanks slack

Hi

Yes you do have other options, one which I would recommend after performing a roll cast to dig the tip and fly out is to perform a single spey set up which positions the line upstream into a d loop, then abort the delivery...... in favour of poking the line out in front of you into a nice V shape on the water, this is usually done with little force and is easy to practice...

Then reverse this V back up into the d loop again and then deliver..., "I like to think of it as an upstream double spey..."

Why do this....?

A Circle C cast can be dangerous if it is your only option and the wind is coming upstream and across from the far bank, the line and fly is between you and the wind when you make the C and can come past at head height at great speed, getting blow into you on the way...!!!

With the single spey line positioning movement the line and fly will come past your position at a lower and safer height, reducing the risk of an injury.. The poke added at this point is to simply make the cast easier to complete successfully "as well as a few other reasons..."

Cheers

Lee