PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Breaking plane - Exploring from Torque thread

sushiyummy
IB3 Member Level 1

Breaking plane - Exploring from Torque thread

Post by sushiyummy »

I was reading the Torque posting and noted posting #59 by Stoatstail50 regarding twisting rod along it's longitudinal axis vs wrist twisting. The latter travels the rod tip than the former.

Some exploratory thoughts here:
I remember seeing Henrik Mortensen casting whereby his counter-flex travels to the left of the target. I decided to put a small video showcasing the following:

1. First segment is the best over the shoulder footage of breaking the plane. The fwd stoke sector (although this is an overhead DH cast) appears to start in a direction that does not cross over his middle. But when he is finishing, the rod appears to take on a sector that does cross. From the video 'The Perfect Cast.'
2. Segments 2 and 3. Note the counter flex is much more visible here and that this is a water borne anchor cast. It appears the counter-flex is ending substantially left of the target, suggesting the plane has changed than when fwd cast was initiated. Video clips from 'The Scandinavian Spey Cast, Vol 4'.

Perhaps the Torque posting is part of a collection of movements, movements including shoulders and torso as demo'd by this video, to create flexing on more than one plane? Or could it be getting more out of FxD path that would be truncated if cast remained on one plane.

Just exploring.
sushiyummy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sushiyummy »

I was on the river yesterday trying this concept out. I noticed that this technique made a huge difference. I was able to keep the fly leg outside the rod leg through out the rollover with the above technique.

Without it, the fly leg crosses over the rod leg.

The cast looks a lot less clumsier and more stable.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Interesting idea. It would still open the loop of course and to the same degree (I assume?), but off-plane. For me the advantage of this technique is that it uses the elbow joint as opposed to the wrist, and it appears to me that this is quicker. But I take your point and it will certainly affect tip path both during and after the Casting Stroke.

It would be interesting to measure the speed of elbow rotation compared to wrist.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions