PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

New to Double Handed Rods - info

Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

New to Double Handed Rods - info

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi All
Listen, I think ,I start to like (very much) the DH, and need some info.
It might help, if I say that Im new to DH rods, but not new to Spey Casting
I did a weekend with Paul in Hungary to practice my spey casts on a single handed, and I keep practicing them a lot ( on the water), and I love them.
Few days ago I tried DH. It wasnt a good set up for me to start ( 13'7" 8wt , with 550grains skagit, and fast sink tip),if Im not misteaken. The guy I took the rod from learnd by himself, and everything he said,while trying to teach me , was wrong in many ways, So I ignored him, and tried to apply , what I knew form single handed ( adding of course the bottom hand).
The cast went very nicley, and Fuck- that felt good :D

Now, as I have already few single handed rods,and I dont want to start buying, different DH rods, for different situation ( my wife might notice higher tubes). :p , and fishing with DH wont be very often.

I've wachted Steve Rajeff A B C's spey video , he describes there very nicely, difference between traditional style, scandy style, and skagit style, and on the end of the video he says, that he prefers DH rods for skagit style as they are softer, and give more feel on the fish.
I love to feel the fish on the end of the rod too, but at the same time I love casting it self ( distance especialy).

I know it very well, that one rod for everything doesnt exist, but if you have to reccomend me one DH rod/line-lines set up, which will help me to cast far, will be able to cast skagit style, and give me a good feel on the fish, what would that be. Length, Wt, Action wise.
Need to mention as well, that a lot of my practice will be done on the grass ( unfortunatly), but for now the BODY/ROD movement is what I have to take care off.

Its a long post , as the DH rod, but Im looking forward to read your thoughts.
cheers
mike
crunch
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by crunch »

With DH rod it is very easy to feel fish pull when you hold it from bottom handle. Heck this way when you do a long cast to current you don't need a fish to have a good fight.
Saulyboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Saulyboy »

Welcome to the wonderful confusing world of Double Handers and lines!

Your post is maybe a little too vague to offer any sort of exact DH setup.
You mention that your mainly going to be casting this stick on grass, but what sort of real fishing do you intend to do(species, fly size, river type, time of year etc etc) and what sort of distances are you aiming to achieve with the rod?
For instance, if I was to just fish the same salmon river all year in Scotland I'd still likely have at least 2 rod sizes to cater for the various seasons and river heights to make the most of the prevailing conditions.

If I was to handicap myself with just one rod and line setup for large river fishing(Scotland) it would be a 14ft DH with matching AFS. The AFS outbound or Head is short enough for all the various Scandi type casts but also spey casts in a more traditional manner beautifully.
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Thanks
I agree about my post, I was so exited about all of it, and I wanted to know everything at once( to late to cancel)
... anyway Im in Italy, so Scotland, Irland, would be my choice of destination at this point.
I will be doing my research, cast few rods and then come back for more info.
cheers
mike
crunch
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by crunch »

I like the light weight of Orvis Helios DH when casting. I have not fished with them but IMO Helios SH rods has best "feedback" to fish because their stiffness/weight ratio is high and then rod transfers fish moves to hand. I believe less weight of DH rod has more effect.

Also a line which stretch as little as possible dampens fish less. There is big difference between thin mono line when compared to Alrflo Ridge which has low stretch core.