PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

2011 ICSF World Championships

savage
Flygod 2011

Post by savage »

It is still casting. The same rules still apply, but it is quite different.

I know Jana Bronckova quite well, and she has always placed well at these competitions.
Watching her cast is a nice experience, she's also quite a pretty girl :;):
But on our casting weekends, using classic tackle, she didn't put up much of a result in the distance. Style looking good, but blasting it out there, it all somehow fell apart.
I've also met Karel Svetelsky a couple of times, but never had a chance to get some proper casting done together. I've had a chance to have a quick cast with his setup (without the proper head, coz it flew off and sank in the river earlier.), and the rod is an ugly broomstick affair.

I still think, whichever way I look at it, it is something else to the 5wt ED type stuff.
We be of one blood you and I.
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

Hi Karel,
If you get a chance to cast with Karel Svetelsky jump at it. He is one of the best distance casters of the last 40 years and still throws a great line. I think Wlodek Targosz is the best distance caster in the last decade and he always seeks out Karel for casting technique coaching. He is a great technician, coach and instructor.
I agree with you, casting is casting. Sure the 5 weight is different from the 38 gram event but l am sure Jana and the male 38 gram casters would only need to a few hours training to get used to the longer line and longer wait time to start to throw the 5 weight a few feet. Same thing with the 5 weight casters using the 38 gram gear. When you pick up and waggle the 38 gram rods in the air, they feel like broomsticks but they come alive when matched with the right line. Not unlike the fishing gear tournament gear really.
I hope the future sees far more reciprocity across the various types of casting tournaments. I am sure we have only just scratched the surface of the mine of casting technique knowledge that opens up when we compete and experiment with the techniques employed in the diverse casting events available today. Some of the fly casting techniques employed are different, the question is should they be, and if so, why?

John
Dung Fly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Dung Fly »

30days and counting.
;)
Dung Fly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Dung Fly »

Preparations nearly complete, 1 last session this coming Sunday should do the trick. ;)