PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

ACA Nationals - State of casting sport in the States

VoodooChild
IB3 Member Level 1

ACA Nationals - State of casting sport in the States

Post by VoodooChild »

The ACA national event was held last week at Long Beach Casting Club in California. Was anyone able to attend? What are your thoughts on the current state of competition casting in the States?

I have been an ACA member for a few years and have not been able to attend any events, mostly due to geography or just poor timing. I happen to live in a part of the world that is utterly devoid of casting clubs, casting pools, or casting competitions.

The ACA seems to be a bit of an anemic organization without many opportunities to participate beyond the handful of casting clubs mostly centered in the Midwest and California. It would be good for the entire fly fishing community if more opportunities for casters to hone their skills existed throughout the rest of the continent, indeed the planet.
Peace
-Marshall
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
easterncaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by easterncaster »

i was there. it was a first for me in many aspects.

what got me to finally commit after years of putting it on my to do list was a month or so ago the ACA dudes came out east to put on a demo wknd at Cabela's in East Hartford. CT. Steve Rajeff, Chris Korich, Andy + Beth Statt and John Field (ACA pres.) demo'd the games, the rules, the gear. fabulous informative fun.

so the nationals, where to begin? ....

the kindness and generosity of the other casters was over the top! like i said it was a first for me in many aspects, one of which was using borrowed gear. half the time i didn't have to ask, it was thrust upon me. competing was a first, as well as being at the nationals and even at a casting club. the grounds, club house, and pond are insanely nice.... nothing but envy from me.

while i didn't win or podium, i didn't embarrass myself either. it gave me chills to see my name up on the board with so many great casters. and there are a lot of very fine casters out there.... holy mole !

i cast in the fly accuracy events and one distance event, the Angler's Fly Distance which got me all excited... hence yesterday i ordered a blank to build up + sundries to start my ascension to next year's podium... :p

let me see if i can post a few pix...

craig
easterncaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by easterncaster »

the grounds ...
Attachments
LBCC.jpg
LBCC.jpg (99.33 KiB) Viewed 2859 times
easterncaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by easterncaster »

the club house !
Attachments
LBCCH.jpg
LBCCH.jpg (116.95 KiB) Viewed 2859 times
easterncaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by easterncaster »

the gear check table had this very well thought out and executed chart to measure rods + leaders.

here's a shitty pic of the right end of it.

recognize the name of the designer... :) !
Attachments
gear_check_chart.jpg
gear_check_chart.jpg (64.37 KiB) Viewed 2859 times
VoodooChild
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VoodooChild »

Thanks Craig, good stuff.
I ordered the Angler’s fly blank a couple of weeks ago, but have not had time to build it yet. It is the only blank I know of that comes with instructions that give the builder permission to trim the blank as you please, awesome!

I was hoping to go to Connecticut back in June but was busy getting blown around in the Keys. It would have been really good to meet up talk about casting the East.

Did you have any trouble with the rules? (Stripping line in while casting has been a trick that I have yet to master.)

What can we do to get some more involvement with competition casting in the East? I have a dream about starting a club in the national capital region, but resources are scarce and I really don’t have a clue as to how to generate local interest.

As our antipodean friends say “Good on ya” for taking the initiative and heading to the west coast. Maybe we will get a chance to meet at a future event.

Thanks again,
-Marshall
easterncaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by easterncaster »

national capital region... DC ?

do you know Dan Davala, John Bilotta, Bob Stouffer?
VoodooChild
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VoodooChild »

easterncaster wrote:national capital region... DC ?

do you know Dan Davala, John Bilotta, Bob Stouffer?
Well, not too far, closer to B-more. Aside from the MCI that I am working with I don’t really know any casters in this region. There are around 8 million people in this market (Baltimore & DC). I figure there have got to be a few folks interested in taking their fly casting to another level. I just don’t know how to gather any momentum. Is social media the answer, or do I just take a weekend and visit all the fly shops (all 4 or 5 of them) in the region and post a flyer and have an informal shoot out? I am open to suggestions.
-Marshall
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

VoodooChild wrote:Well, not too far, closer to B-more. Aside from the MCI that I am working with I don’t really know any casters in this region. There are around 8 million people in this market (Baltimore & DC). I figure there have got to be a few folks interested in taking their fly casting to another level.

go check out BamBam, he could use some help these days... :D

otherwise, i remember seeing several FFF instructors in the DC area in the 'Find an Instructor' page. probably better to contact them directly by mail.

nice post, btw :)

cheers,
marc
VoodooChild
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VoodooChild »

Marc LaMouche wrote:BamBam, he could use some help these days... :D

otherwise, i remember seeing several FFF instructors in the DC area in the 'Find an Instructor' page. probably better to contact them directly by mail.

nice post, btw :)

cheers,
marc
Somehow I think President Barry will wait till he is out of office to work on his casting. ;)

I will have to check some of those contacts again Marc, it's been a while since I have been to the "Find an instructor" page. I think that starting with the regional CCI’s would be a good start.

Here’s another crazy idea, maybe, just maybe, I should attend a meeting of the regional FFF chapter. :D

Did I hijack my own thread? :???:

Peace
-Marshall
grhen
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by grhen »

Wow, Those photos make me homesick.11 years later and the ONLY thing I miss about So. Calif is LBCC.

Put a notice in all of the regional FF clubs newsletters, flyers at tackle shops and fly shops.Also talk to John Fields and see what support you can get from him. Who is hosting the Nationals next year?
tp://CastFlys.Com]CastFlys.Com[/URL]
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

LBCC is a great venue and my congratulations go to the LBCC members who rebuilt after the fire. Looking forward to the US hosting a World Championship in near future.
Well done Marshall on stepping up to the casting platform and good luck with your endeavours for a local Club.

John
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

Hi Craig,

Have the results of the US Championships been published?

John
easterncaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by easterncaster »

LBCC published (printed) a results/awards pamphlet which they gave out at the closing banquet.

as far as on-line results, nope... at least i have not been able to find them.

if you want a few specifics i could look them up in my pamphlet.
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Craig,

Will get the results from the LBCC newsletter but was wondering if Mateusz Targosz competed.

John