PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Flycasting World Championships - 24-26 August 2012

sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

Paul Arden wrote:However what it came down to on this, is we really want to make this happen. Making the event happen is more important than changing the line. We can all live with the MED again and it makes for a more level playing field. Rods, I don't care and I don't think it's significant.
100% with you Paul on this.
I'm here just for the chicks.

President of The Village Idiots of Vantaa Rapids
President of The Casting Federation of Finland

-Sakke
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

We are looking at the next possible venue. Maybe Hungary, maybe Japan. Or maybe there are other nationalities here who are interested in hosting? If this is the case then let me know and I can help.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:
But these aren't technique tests, they are accuracy & distance tests, so why not let any commercially available line of the correct AFTM be used?
The AFTM only applies to the first thirty feet. What about after that point? Could make it an eight weight! If you say that at no point can the line proportionally exceed the weight of a five weight you've just banned the MED because it steps up just behind the from taper. Then you need minimum lengths and minimum running line diameter and lastly the whole thing has to float. And then there has to be a way of checking the bloody thing!

The other option is that the WCWFT provides the lines. Hell they could even sell the lines and make a prize with the profits.

However what it came down to on this, is we really want to make this happen. Making the event happen is more important than changing the line. We can all live with the MED again and it makes for a more level playing field. Rods, I don't care and I don't think it's significant.

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul

The front taper of the MED isn't 30 feet long! It would be perfectly ok if one had to go by the AFFTA rating, it doesn't get bulkier after 30 feet as some other lines do.

The Swedes have three lines for their national events with otherwise the same rules (except they also have a singlehanded spey event) and they have done some serious research on the lines to have their national casting federation adopt them.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes I've seen the proposals. The MED steps up and down immediately after the front taper, to delay turnover, which means for a very short section is is non-proportional to the rest of the first thirty feet. This makes inclusion complicated because a simple rule would be to say that lines must be proportional in mass at every point to AFTM. Of course we can work around it to include it, which is what we've been looking at.

Anyway getting the next World Championship happening is the no 1 priority. I'm more than happy to throw the same line as everyone else, even if it is at the expense of flyline development/sponsorship.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

-Sakke
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Sakke

Cool! :cool:

Denmark will be coming with 7, 6 guys and one woman :cool:

Cheers
Lasse

Gone.....
sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

Alright Lasse! Look forward to meet you, Sil and the rest of Danes too!

-Sakke
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi All.
I'll say this way:
Two of my big casting days were canceled, so Im going to the Worldchampionship, first I pay the fee, register and talk to my wife and boss to give me off.
Few Questions about trout distance:
We read a lot on board of SL about people casting high 120'(36m) during practice sessions,and we all know that conditions(wind,air presure) are also different when we practice, but reading results from any competitions, numbers are kind of low. winning cast in 2010was 32.5m (110')
What are main things making it much different
- rushing in 4min to cast as far as you can?
- weather?
- big croud cheering you up?
- idea of not fuck it up in front of many, and then you try more, which acctualy doesnt results good
I just want make my head around big event like this.
To Paul: I saw you casting (clearing the rod off line) almost 125' with
z-axis, and then in Serbia 29.7m not even 100' .(if I red the table correct!)
And the most amazing is that we cast rods and lines we familiar with.
p.s
I took part in casting competition in Italy, casting rod with its name and weight coverd by black tape(one for all casters,so they have same
chance)
Any ideas?
cheers
mike
sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

Weather is by far the biggest variable. And the biggest one within that is wind. Temperature, pressure and humidity are far back from the effect of wind.

-Sakke
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Michal

Paul did hit 30,35 meters in Serbia and this time he couldn't say it was a slippery handle from tiemco linedressing :p

To best prepare for WC, go out and practice in all wind directions and all weather conditions. Then practice throwing of a floating pier :cool:

Check youtube to get a feel for the conditions last time.

Most competitors have done more than one competition, and there was no big crowd cheering on, to damn rainy for them to come out :D

Cheers
Lasse

Gone.....
sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

It wasn't the handle. It was the haul. I fell into the same trap. So I have one advice too - stay with your routines, do what you're used to do. Or, at least test before stepping on the pier.

The pier does move. But not much. I can see it on the videos, but I didn't notice it while casting.

-Sakke
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

thanks guys
will stay with the rutin then, and practice in all possible weather conditions.
hopefully I'll see you there.
mike
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

....one more thing
seatrout. which line has 27g. would that be MED 7wt, if yes would you put it on 8wt rod(there is no restriction) and participate this event?
i dont have 7wt rod(not yet), but im not gona buy one just for this, that is why im asking if 8wt will do?
cheers
mike
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi michal

Seatrout is af shootinghead event, most longbelly 7 has to be cute at about 18-20 meters to get that weight, lb 8 weights at 15-17 meters DT's a bit shorter .

Most use rods that say 8 on them for this event.

Cheers
Lasse

Gone.....
Thomas_E
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Thomas_E »

The SH, I use sometimes for my 13' , Class 8/9 ist a part of a Dt 11 and 11 m long. The weight is 27g.

I used a 10 weight single hand rod with fun, for this line !

Lasse,
what is the length of the SH's, most casters used for this "Seatrout distance" ?

Pity that it's so far, otherwise I would like to watch it. ;)

Cheers
Thomas E.