PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

What did you do saturday night?

blackwater
IB3 Member Level 1

What did you do saturday night?

Post by blackwater »

After a lot of hard work by members of the Northern Suburbs Fly Fishing Club over many years, Australia has what is i think the first purpose built fly casting pool with purpose built lighting. The casting pool and club rooms were built a few years ago and last friday 24th of feb 2012 after lots of running around and a few prayers, a brand new purpose built light pole was erected beside the pool to allow for casting events to continue on into the evening.

Blokes like Andrew Connel, Leff Andropov, John Kruska and Glen Cox and many more in the background have done an enormous amount of work to make sure this club has the best casting facilities in Australia.

Well last night the blokes from Northern Suburbs Fly Fishing Club got together with members from a few other clubs in the melbourne area for a casting competition called the Northern Lights This is the first serious get together of the year and it was great to meet up and say hi to people i haven't seen since the comps finished up last season.

Great weather, great BBQ, great casting and great mates all came together to make this one of the best events i have ever attended.

The view over the lake isn't bad either.

It looks very special

Kruska kept everything running smoothly.

Laying it down wet fly style

Yay Boydo

Yay Wet

Overall winner Darryl from NSFFC with 188 points

I cant wait for the 2012 Australian championships to be held here later in the year. As well as more competitions, hopefully there will be a few more FFF further learning and examination events and some casting games, NSFFC is going to be a sensational place to be.
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

wow ! what a sweet place ! :cool:
ennio
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ennio »

Double Wow!

Andrew
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

There you go Andrew, now you know where you're going wrong in Manchester. A pool, a light and a balmy February evening topped off with a bbq.

I'm only jealous

Mike
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/
easterncaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by easterncaster »

sah'WEET !

craig
Boydo
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Boydo »

An excellent night was had by all!

Also great to see a few new guys having a go at accuracy competition fly casting.

Northern Suburbs Fly Fishing Club would now have to be the premiere fly casting facility in Australia hands down.

Got to love the prizes too, 1st to 3rd in each event won a 10" Anzac biscuit baked by Bintoro. :sorcerer:
You are only as crazy as the people around you !!

Boyd.
Wet
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Wet »

What a great night for a cast, pity is was a TFB (declared day of Total Fire Ban) cause I could have had a beer and relaxed rather than ready to run for the truck :ooops:

Paulie, when you coming over for a cast? I think we will get some really good casting Video from these lights and the dark background, can wait to start playing.
Regards,
Andrew Connell
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Wow looks awesome! Going to have a go at building something like that this summer.
Paulie, when you coming over for a cast?

Good question. Certainly within the next 12 months! Probably around Christmas, unless I find a way to get back to finish the ride before :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

It was a good night, great job by Northern Suburbs Fly Fishing Club. John Kruska, arranged an ICSF Skish grass fly accuracy event as well and I was surprised at the number of blokes having a go.
The next Melbourne casting venue to have a light tower erected is Southern Fly Fishers in Highett (site of 2011 Oz Gathering). It will be great to have two flood-lit casting venues in Melbourne in 2012.
The Australian Casting Federation is considering a 5/6 weight fly accuracy casting event under lights at this year's Australian Fly Casting Championships in June at Northern and at the Victorian Fly Casting Championships at Southern in May (lights permitted). Will see how it goes but I am sure both will be well attended.
Fly lines and casting plugs look great under lights, over water.

John
Dung Fly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Dung Fly »

That looks an awesome place.

Me - I almost drank a bottle of Jamesons in trying to kill off the Flu & I lost :???: I still have the Flu :(
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

Hi Andy,

Hope the flu clears quickly mate. Looking forward to catching up later this year.

John
blackwater
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by blackwater »

Dung Fly wrote:That looks an awesome place.

Me - I almost drank a bottle of Jamesons in trying to kill off the Flu & I lost :???: I still have the Flu :(
You need to come and visit the club. The nice warm weather will help get rid of the flu and you will be warmly welcomed if you bring a bottle of Jamesons with you. :cool:
Bintoro
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bintoro »

Few more photos from the night ...

With the club house in the background.

Some ritual before the competition.

The coveted prizes of the competition, uniquely Australian - The Giant Anzac Biscuits
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

It's all that skiing you and Vicki do Andy, too bloody cold and I bet nobody at the apres ski knows anything about shallow spools for the 18 gram.

Get better soon mate,

John
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Prizes you can eat? :cool:
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions