PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Teva Games 2012

mpukas
IB3 Member Level 1

Teva Games 2012

Post by mpukas »

I entered the 2012 Teva Games 2Fly X-Stream this past weekend. Ended up 7th overall.

In the qualifying round, I was 4th out of 66 men. I hit 8 out of 9 targets, choked my distance and only hit a 78 and hit 2 out of bounds, and I got the bonus target. Essentially 9 out of 10 possible hits. Top 20 guys go to the semi-finals.

In the semi-finals, I hit 11 out 15 targets and missed the bonus, but that put me in 2nd place for that round. I had 2nd pick for boat position the next day.

I chose back of the boat for the 1st boat, so I would have front of the boat for the 2nd float. I only landed 2 fish and taped a 16 incher for a score of 18. Between the 2 floats I probably turned and was chased by 22-25 fish. I choked. I sucked.

I fished a hybrid streamer I tied up the night before – a tweaked cross between a slump buster and a sculpzilla. Essentially a slump bister with a stinger hook. Worked very well considering the fishing was tough for everyone, but I just couldn’t hook up on fish consistently.

It was a great event as always. And, I got to fish w/ Frank Smethurst again. That bot can fish! Actually, he can cast pretty darn well too. He was 1st in qualifying, 1st in semi-finals, got the biggest fish (20” rainbow, the biggest fish he said he’s ever caught on the Eagle) and got 1st place in the finals. Total sweep. The only thing he didn’t get was longest cast in the qualifying round – that went to Jeff Wagner w/ 110’ (but there’s no prize/acknowledgement for that).

Also a highlight for the event, the 2 women finalists actually caught fish this year, and placed 5th and 4th, beating some of the guys! Usually the women don’t do very well in the fishing part, often not even catching a single fish. Both Lisa Kraft and Sandy Roberts caught a 19” fish which gave them a score of 20 (# of fish plus length of 1 fish = total), which beat my scope of 18.

Would love to see some S’Loopers there next year!
At what elevation do deer become elk?
Well, that depends on what side of the continental divide you're on.

What's water polo?
It's like polo, but in the water.
On sea horses?
jomeder
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by jomeder »

Congratulations :-). Do you know if there's going to be any footage online or on TV?

Regards,

Jo
mpukas
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mpukas »

No, I don't think so Joe. I year's past there have been TV cameras there f/ ESPN, but I don't think the flyfishing events ever got broadcast. They don't even put many photos of the FF events on their website. A good friend of mine even organizes the FF event and is an awesome photographer, but I can't seen to get pics from him either.

What's water polo?
On sea horses?
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Did you win a pair of Tevas? :???: Sounds like you did well! :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
mpukas
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mpukas »

No, I didn't win a pair of Teva's.. kinda ironic that the Teva Games doesn't give out Teva's to finalists...

The top 8 men and top 2 women finalists are supposed to get a pair fo Maui Jim shades, as MJ is teh "official sponsor". Costa used to be the sponsor, but a coupe years ago Vail Valley Foundation bought the Teva Games f/ the local guys that started it, adn MJ is Vail's shade sponsor/partner, so Costa was booted. Costa > MJ

Thanks Paulski - I was doing well in the first two rounds, but when it came to where it counts, I just couldn't hook up on fish. I had ever opportunity to beat Frank - I was into just as many fish as he was, but I didn't bring it.

What's water polo?
On sea horses?