PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Norway 2012

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

It would have to be a fucking big hat!
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Magnus H
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Magnus H »

1. Don't you trust the judges? Anyway, it shouldn't be so hard to do.

2. Absolutely. Four-five would be ok.

3. Could work, but it takes alot of judges.

5. I rather stay with four min. Since the clock doesn't stop for tangles and such. And for Salmon distance I'd like to change to five min.

6. I think we should stick with the ED. If SA sponsors it - great! But if we have to open up for other lines that's one of the better ideas.

Magnus
plugcaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by plugcaster »

Why not move the events that can be done on grass onto grass? This will save a lot of time as you can have eight lanes running, and measuring is much faster on grass, as well as more accurate.

As an example, the T38 event typically takes under two hours to complete. That's around 90 competitors, each casting for 5 min, plus two finals (male & female).

Conditions between rounds can of course vary, but that is just the luck of the draw. The organizers can't predict what the wind will do from round to round. Having 5 minutes as opposed to 3, gives you almost twice as long to get a lucky gust should the conditions be variable.

As for tangles, if you are allowed an assistant, as in ICSF, they can deal with tangles and replacing flies while you are pulling line in. Impossible over water unless you have access to Jesus as your assistant.
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi All
Few thoughts from my side (as for the first timer who took a part in WC)

1) agree. it is part of the show,brings up little exitment. during opening ceremony,with the time dead line. who comes late(like me)gets random pick. time is needed to print out correct lists for the judges for the next day

2) fine with me(dont have much expirience with this)

3) I think the lane should be wide enough, if you r in the middle lane out of 8, (never done it) you can get confused seeing all this orange loops back and forward.

4) there was no 4, I agree with "what ever can be done on the grass
should be done on the grass. the results can be more precise.

5) 3-4 min, for me at this point no difference

6) sponsored lines. what about barrio 140gt, it cost 28€, not 70€, and you know we are going trough few before the comp.

7) it maybe to materrial from my side, but if the entry fee is let say 100€, with 80 competitors it 8000€, make a deal with Mike Barrio, buy 30 pay for 20 I dont know. for the rest get some prizes. Rod, Reel,Vest, Few lines. Prizes ofcourse for the first six only (per event)
p.s
im not saying to buy New Sage One Ellite for 1250$, but something

that is from my side.

cheers
mike
sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

Paul Arden wrote:I'm going to put some proposals to the committee, but thought I'd run them past you guys first.

1) I'd like to see starting positions drawn from a hat on the first evening, as part of the event. I realise that there may be time clashes but I'm sure we can handle this. How do we handle this? Ignore it?

2) Less team members per event. At the moment each country can provide eight casters per event. Maybe four maximum, or even less, because...

3) we have a knock out competition, even if not competing at exactly the same time, we do blocks of eight, where the best two go through to the next round. This should hopefully help against the wind.

5) Bring the five weight comp down to 3 minutes.

6) Allow the line to be sponsored. The sponsor donates a line to each participant at the start of the weekend. The lines have to ones that have very little manufacturing variance.

These are my current thoughts. I'd like to know what you all think.

Cheers, Paul
1) Draw is good. We just need a program that prevents overlapping of events for people taking part to more than one event. Should be possible, even with excel.

2) We were six Finns per event by average. Pretty much the limit in my opinion. Depends on how fast the event can be gone thru (=how many can be casting at the same time)

3) Knock out like on track & field sports sounds good. We just need to figure out some type of ranking system that works so all the best casters (by record) are not in the same heat. If we do this, then we have baskets for draw just like in Euro or World championship for football (soccer to Americans) for the relegation.

Of course there is no number .

5) Four minutes is fine in my opinion.

6) The lines can be sponsored. I don't believe in monopolies. And actually it might be illegal to have competition in EU with only one line allowed.
I'm here just for the chicks.

President of The Village Idiots of Vantaa Rapids
President of The Casting Federation of Finland

-Sakke
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

My thinking on 3, is that even if it's not possible to have all eight compete directly against each other in one four minute slot, it could be done over a 20-25 minute slot. That has to be better than 50 competing over several hours! And more exciting too, because then there is another step or two to the final. Let's say two go through from 8 and we have 64 competitors...

8 rounds of 8 = 16 go through.
2 rounds of 8 = 4 go through.
2 rounds of 2 = 2 go through.
Final.

Or something along that line. Just an idea to make it less of a wind lottery and more exciting to watch!

Casting over grass is another issue, it would allow for more lanes and more accurate measurements. The disadvantage is that we're back on grass again.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
plugcaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by plugcaster »

Competitive casting of any sort is always a wind lottery. Unless you have the events indoors of course. Even then, someone could have the door open and let some wind in :D

The only way to beat it is to become good enough to win no matter what the conditions. Having competed for almost 30 years, I can honestly say you just have to take the good with the bad. If you're good enough, eventually you will win.

Keeping casters of the same ability competing close together is the best option. Say the top ten from this year compete in pairs, followed by the next ten, and so on. At least then your nearest competitor will have similar conditions to you, which should even out across the field. Works in surfcasting anyway.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I also think we need the running back to camp at 5am and falling over competition. Team GB have been practising this and believe it is a handy addition to the competition line-up and best of all it won't clash with any of the other scheduled events.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul, I think that would be a good idea, you'll trip anyway :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

1. Don't you trust the judges? Anyway, it shouldn't be so hard to do.

Absolutely and I'm sure it was completely random, however I think making the draw live and open would enhance the weekend. :p

Flycasting Definitions
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

3) we have a knock out competition, even if not competing at exactly the same time, we do blocks of eight, where the best two go through to the next round. This should hopefully help against the wind.

Be a shame if the best eight casters all drew against each other in the first round. You could have the possibility of all eight casting further than anyone in any other group but six of them failing to qualify. Not likely, but possible.

Mike
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Hi Mike,
I don't think that to be a problem. The winner has to win all battles anyway...
A strong first round would be great to watch either, wouldn't it?

Good points, Paul.
Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
White Hunter
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by White Hunter »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Paul, I think that would be a good idea, you'll trip anyway :D

Cheers
Lasse
You do know hes still accusing me of tripping him over and im taking the rap for his sore ribs..... :D

How is this possible when i was leading by 20 yards.......! :???:

I think the knockout idea is the best, but it will mean nothing if the distances are not measured accurately,

I think the easiest way round this is if the fly position was simply pinned by the judge having two flags to hand, one for the furthest cast and one spare for if it gets surpassed, then measuring the furthest one properly at the end of the round should be easy to do.

It also give you your second furthest distance in the event of a tie..
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Lee, you were 20yards in front of the guy who just participated in IronMan?
Something is not right!!! (-:(-:
White Hunter
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by White Hunter »

Correct .... :)

Back to the measuring, how many times did the casters have to stand and wait ages before the measures actually reached the fly, in some cases by which time it had slid further than where it actually landed? The worse case we saw was an additional metre in the salmon distance.

At sexyloops shootouts we have had measures who ran to the flys location so more time can be spent on casts being made. If it is done on grass all that needs doing is pegging it with a flags or golf tees or something..