PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

T-38 Competition - looking for some info

Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

T-38 Competition - looking for some info

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi
I would like to find out more about T-38, competition casting.
I know about the 38g line with min 15m head,
what rod would you use to cast this in competition?
Are those lines expensive?
How can you make your own T-38, for practice?
Are they using it for accuracy in ICSF competitions.

All info will be appreciated

cheers
mike
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

I just red about CTS competition.rods.
Never had one in hand
Are they dificult to cast, I mean are there many changes in a casting stroke, hauling, rotation, for a guy who cast distance with 5wt?

mike
plugcaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by plugcaster »

You might also want to take a look at the ACA Loomis T38 & T42. I've used one of the CTS Thomas Maire rods and didn't get along with it. I found it too stiff and lifeless, but there again others use them to great effect! I've also used the Loomis rods, the T38 when I first started, and I now use the T42 exclusively. The 38 is a good rod to learn on, but you may struggle with the 42 if you have never cast these events before?

I find it difficult making the transition between T38 and 5#. Practicing with one, seems to detract from the other. I think an accomplished tournament fly caster would have less trouble, but I'm a relative beginner at this competition thing with flies.

I would recommend visiting your countries federation and talking to the people who compete in this event. They will have a wide selection of rods to test, and be able to give you good advice about how to cast them.

Loomis tournament rods can be bought here
http://www.americancastingassoc.org/our_gam....le.html

Peter
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Michael

If you can't find either lines or rods easily, a exstra super fast sink DT 12 can be cut up to a ok practice head, it ends up at the right length and weight. And most 12 weights do make for ok try out rods. Be careful though, if you aren't used to throwing heavier gear, it will put some stress on your joints.

Check out youtube, there's several clips of competition casters throwing the gear. It's just a flycast!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Hi
Maybe you are right, maybe Im putting the bar to high for myself, on th begining of my adventure with shooting heads.
I lost some time in Norway not asking aroud.

Lasse would you be so kind and answer me on some questions regarding seatrout distance.
- 27g head what lenght of the head?
- what commercial line will do for this set up?
- what rod rating will be good for that event? I have noticed big variation of rods in 5 weight distance, but did not get any info about set up for 27g head

... and any other usefull info

Im thinking of participating in seatrout distance in next WC, so I want to get ready.

Thank you
mike
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Lasse, one more thing
In Munich, you were casting Echo 3 saltwater 9' 8wt, will this be good to use with the 27g SH?
cheers
mike
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Completely different IMO, and I'm pretty good proof of this :p It's something I'm considering getting into, however. You can, or should be able to, buy the lines direct from the ACA. If not I can help.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Michael
Lasse would you be so kind and answer me on some questions regarding seatrout distance.
- 27g head what lenght of the head?
- what commercial line will do for this set up?
- what rod rating will be good for that event? I have noticed big variation of rods in 5 weight distance, but did not get any info about set up for 27g head

... and any other usefull info

Im thinking of participating in seatrout distance in next WC, so I want to get ready.

Thank you
mike

Length of head is the length you favor, people where casting headlengths between 13 and 20 meters at the WC.

Any longbelly line or DT line can be cut up to a good shootinghead, a 8 weight usually ends up around 15/16 meters, good place to start.
The GT140 from Barrio made exellent heads, I hear the GT125 is different though :(

Any rod will do fine, personal preference is the name of the game as with any flycasting, so try out some different ones and figure out your preference. Most use 10 footers, but if you're not strong something shorter might be better, I'm using the Echo 3 9'6" #8, simply can't rotate a 10 footer fast enough. Some like really stiff rods and are looking into getting things like T34/36 rods made up for this event.

Cheers
Lasse
Attachments
seatroutPBsmall.jpg
seatroutPBsmall.jpg (209.65 KiB) Viewed 3473 times

Gone.....
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Thanks Lasse
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

...barrio Gt140 has head of 88', where shell I cut it, to leave space for the loop connection.
...and what about running line, what would be the best.
p.s
Im starting from the scratch,so be patient ;)

mike
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Michael

You should cut it at 27 grams ;) Lines are never exact, so the only way is to measure the weight yourself!

Since this is a head for practice and competition, don't bother about fancy connections, either needleknot the shootingline to the head, or make a perfection loop on the core.

Shootingline is a open market, any mono that hasn't got too much memory will do fine, just remember it has to be 0,35mm or thicker, and flat shootinglines are measured on the thinnest part.

These are lines I use or have used:
Berkley XT solar (trolling line)
Berkley Ironsilk (spinning and coarse fishing line)
Climax Cod (Seafishing line)
They all work fine, Rio slickshooter, Zpey speedline, Ken Sewada flatbeam all work too, but you need the 35lbs versions to be thick enough, good if you can't handle thin mono while hauling.

Cheers
Lasse

Gone.....
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Great Lasse,
thank you
sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

For the sea trout in WC I used Barrio #8 GT125 that I cut to just under 27g on location. For the final I cut 1m more off it since it was a bit long (it was still too long). Ended up with 18,3m length as I measured it when I got home. I have also Zpey 60' competition head (the light mustard color one), #8 and #7 Barrio GT140 cut. For shooting line I use red amnesia. I used to use 10' #8 Echo extreme distance, but it was too soft for me and I had to cast with "a handbrake on". I got a CTS #10 10' salt blank in early August, built it and used it in WC. It's a beast thou. After casting that in the howling wind in the final my forearm muscle started to hurt. That's why I wasn't able to properly test Paul's rod - it felt like was driving a car with one wheel missing, no control whatsoever. So, it might be a bit too stiff for practice. Fortunately I don't do that - if I'll start, I need to think what rod to use for that.

The T38 stuff is tough. The line is so much denser and thus faster. The rods normally stiff pokers. Fun for me for just a cast or two. It hurts if it hits you too. Not nearly as much as the T120 stuff (which is sooo distant from fishing tackle) thou. Usually there is also hauling line used behind the head so that the line doesn't break during casting - after that ridiculously thin mono that tangles like hell and one couldn't land a proper fish with.
I'm here just for the chicks.

President of The Village Idiots of Vantaa Rapids
President of The Casting Federation of Finland

-Sakke
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Hi Sakkari
So the idea is to reach 27g right?
so if I want to start, and cut gt140 5wt,( i got leftovers) at 27g, doest it mean its going to be to long to start?
as you said 18,3m cut from barrio gt125 #8 was to long for you.
Have you custome made your CTS, or bought it of the shelf?
cheers
mike
sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

Hi Mike,

#7 is the lightest I would start from. So lines from #7 thru #9 are the suitable ones mostly. The head weight limit is 27g. So the optimal is to have that in the perfect length for the combination of the man, the conditions and the rod. That's if the caster can use the weight - if not, then lighter might be better.

The 18,3m was too long for me and my rod in that high wind. I was really struggling with the back cast.

CTS is basically never off the shelf, the roll the blank for you. Mine wasn't a standard list item - they don't have #10 10' blanks on the list. I haven't seen on other manufacturers either.
I'm here just for the chicks.

President of The Village Idiots of Vantaa Rapids
President of The Casting Federation of Finland

-Sakke