PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Photoshop Elements 9 - Anyone use it? Input please.

mattklara
IB3 Member Level 1

Photoshop Elements 9 - Anyone use it? Input please.

Post by mattklara »

I'm getting a new PC, and my current Photoshop software (6.0) needs upgrading since I suspect compatibility will be an issue.

Anyone used the Elements software?

Does it do enough? I dont shoot in raw and mainly use the cropping, color editing, histogram, contrast/brightness, color balance, filters, and rubber stamp tools.

Definitely cheaper than CS3, 4, 5.
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?" - joesnuffy
keystone
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by keystone »

Hi,
I have photoshop 7 works fine with XP and VISTA.
Dave
Rich Knoles
flybitch 2008

Post by Rich Knoles »

Can you do all those things with the software that came with the camera?
blackwater
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by blackwater »

I have used previous elements packages but have not used elements 9. Even basic software should be able to do most of the things you have listed there and the older versions of elements did them all.
Harps
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Harps »

I use Picasa for basic stuff, and GIMP if I need more control.
"Hippies smell better Naked."
Will
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Will »

I have elements 6.0 and Vista ( :angry: ), and it does everything you want. Although I can do most of those things in the software that came with my camera.

W.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

I added Elements 8 to my laptop for pretty cheap. Seems to have everything except maybe an auto HDR wizard.
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

If you only work with JPG then Photoimpact by Ulead might be worth looking into. Pretty inexpensive software that does a good job on editing JPG pictures.
Malcolm
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Malcolm »

A very good, simple and free photo editing package is Photofiltre - be careful it has English and French versions so be sure to select the correct langauge. It's also very fast compared to the heavyweight editing packages.

It's pretty intuitive with many more facilities than Picasa and easier to use than GIMP or Photoshop. No layers though.
Gary
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Gary »

What camera are you using Matt?
Harps
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Harps »

Malcolm wrote:A very good, simple and free photo editing package is Photofiltre - be careful it has English and French versions so be sure to select the correct langauge. It's also very fast compared to the heavyweight editing packages.

It's pretty intuitive with many more facilities than Picasa and easier to use than GIMP or Photoshop. No layers though.

Too many different image softwares out there... I'm still trying to find a decent web design program for Mac.
Malcolm, I'll have to take a look at Photofiltre, but it doesn't run on Mac :( . I'll give it a shot on one of my other Comps.

GIMP is pretty complicated...
I like Picasa because I can Geo-Reference photos, tag them, and it has good facial recognition software- all very simple to use!
I'm looking at Picasa righ now and I see I have just about 4000 folders with just about 20,000 files in the library (on a couple of external hard drives). Without picture management software, I'd be F'd.
I do wish it had a little more for image processing and that it could handle RAW files better...
Viking Lars
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Viking Lars »

I use E9 - every now and then I stumble upon something it can't do, but always really advanced stuff - for 99% of all my photoediting, E9 is perfect!

Lars
Great flycasters don't think straight - they track straight.....

If it moves - and shouldn't, use duct tape...
If it's stuck - and should move, use WD40...
mattklara
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mattklara »

Thanks guys.

I find the GIMP interface frustrating and not that intuitive, but that's just me coming from Photoshop, CAD, and GIS I think.

Gary, I use a point and shoot camera - Pentax Optio. Sometimes I manage a great shot or two. Usually I need help. :)

I just ordered a new machine and got a smokin deal on Elements 9. I'll let you know how I like it. As long as it doesn't try to tell me how to organize my photos like Iphoto I think we'll be friends. :)
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?" - joesnuffy
Harps
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Harps »

I tried iPhoto when I got my new Mac last month... went back to Picasa in a second.
mattklara
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mattklara »

i just like managing my own files, directory structures, etc. MAC just seems to try really hard to take the control away from the user.

Sign The Petition Here