PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Lenses - building from the ground up...

FlyAlf
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by FlyAlf »

skeg wrote:just a li'le update:

...after a few months of chewing my next step - reading tests, talking to my pro friends, and trying to stay sound (never succeed), I've got today a non IS- 70-200 f2.8 L...
I tried a friend's IS II, and it's really a wonderglass, but I'll go for a 16-35 2.8 as a next move...
I'm doomed.
Anyway, the 24 - 105 is really a nice glass, only remarks, that I would like to have sometimes more on the wide end, and it hunts quite lot in an environment with less light (on a 5D)
I just shot a few pics with the 70-200, and the autofocus is really fast and exact, and the sharpness and colour rendering really superb.

a few misty shots with the 24-105(sorry-no fish):
Great shoots. Mist makes for very soft light, and helps blur the background.

I would recommend a real wide. I dont know the Canon line, but something around 15 - 18mm on FF works great in tight conditions (like a boat), and helps maximize the fish versus other distracting elements (such as the fisher :p ).

So my not-so-humble advice; go for a real fixed wide and do the "zooming" post by croppping.
Alf
------------
Catch & Relax
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Does anyone has any experience with the Samyang line of lenses? They are all manual focus, but get good reviews. For the price I would consider their fisheye, even though it wouldn't be a lens I would use much. They also have a very interesting sounding 85 mm. with 1.4 as widest aperture.
skeg
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by skeg »

FlyAlf wrote:Great shoots. Mist makes for very soft light, and helps blur the background.

I would recommend a real wide. I dont know the Canon line, but something around 15 - 18mm on FF works great in tight conditions (like a boat), and helps maximize the fish versus other distracting elements (such as the fisher :p ).

So my not-so-humble advice; go for a real fixed wide and do the "zooming" post by croppping.
Alf,

thanks, I've used my Nikkor primes - 20mm and 16mm fisheye quite often on my Nikon, I loved that two little primes.
Canon has a few fixed in their top lenses, 14mm, but those are just too expensive right now. The 16-35 is a superb lens, and quite cheaper than the 14mm. I'm thinking about a voitglander prime - small, and excellent optical and mechanical construction - they just do not make below 20mm for Canon...
My primary reason for zooms is not that I don't want to walk closer-or farther, but I really love that I can change the visual sense of space-if you know what I mean - without changing optics, by changing the focal lenght. (how the space becomes more "crammed - solid" with longer focal lenghts...)
Of course having a 20mm, a 40mm, and a 90mm manual Voitglander on an 5D is quite a pervert and tempting fantasy... :p

Jeroen, I was wondering about the Samyang stuff, also.

Last year i found myself using the 16mil fisheye quite often - I've found it much more useful than I thought it will be...
Peter
"...fish like a demon with a mission"-Sudesh

...just one more last cast
Malcolm
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Malcolm »

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the 18-200.

I have the Nikon equivalent and it stays on my camera unless there is a special reason to change. It focuses close and is more than sharp enough for most screen based viewing.

Thousands of pounds worth of lenses and this one lens is responsible for at least 80% of my shots
skeg
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by skeg »

Malcolm, I tend to have a snobbish attitude when it comes to lens max aperture. :closedeyes: the 3,5 -5,6 is not really attractive. (not enough money to go for the 1.2 -1.4 lenses, tho'...) I rather lug around two-three lenses depending on location.
Peter
"...fish like a demon with a mission"-Sudesh

...just one more last cast