PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Camera into the wild

Pals
IB3 Member Level 1

Camera into the wild

Post by Pals »

hi there,

I'm going to New Zealand end of November for the first time (yipee!!) , and I want to bring my dslr-camera even though it weighs a ton and generally is a pain in the ass. Does any of you have experience bringing such equipment into the wild? I'm thinking of buying something like this.

Or I might carry it in a couple of waterproof (sea to summit-type-) drybags. Problem with that last solution is that it takes eons to get it out and ready ... Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Thanks!
Pals
Pals
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

Several of us here have used the Ortleib AquaZoom bag (myself included). You can search this forum for ortleib and find some threads.

It'll hold a body with a medium / small zoom and is definitely waterproof if you've sealed and rolled it. Lars mentioned once that his body wont fit w/ a battery pack and someone else said it didn't fit their zoom, but I'd totally recommend it.

I wade with it often and have no fear if it gets splashed or occasionally dunked. Rumor is that Jan may have taken his swimming in Cuba :D
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

I throw my gear (usually two bodies and three or four lenses) in a waterproof rucksack when on the ocean or hiking in a humid environment. I do get some wear and tear from the use. But I wouldn't know how to make photos without a camera. Keep them away from water and moisture, is the best tip I can give. I don't use devices that will put some piece of plastic or glass in front of my lens. Underwater that might be fine, but on dry land these protective covers can get condensation on them, ruining your photos.
Viking Lars
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Viking Lars »

Depending on the situation, I have a LowePro DryZone 200 waterproof photo backpack that is totally awesome and holds more gear than I need (ever :-). I rarely use it unless I'm out for days or in a boat!

For a normal trip, I either use a smaller photo backpack with a raincover, which will keep your dry under most conditions if you use a little caution and think a little (unless you go swimming of course :-).

I often also throw my camera in a drybag and into a normal backpack (same with an extra lens and a flash, for instance), and that works fine. Time spent getting the gear out of a backpack and a drybag compared to other systems is pretty much the same!

The Ortlieb referred to above is absolutely awesome and I wish it would fit my camera, but it doesn't :-)

Lars
Great flycasters don't think straight - they track straight.....

If it moves - and shouldn't, use duct tape...
If it's stuck - and should move, use WD40...
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

I have that Dryzone 200 too. The concept is ok I guess, but I hate the design of this bag. The outer bag isn't water proof and absorbs massive amounts of water when used under wet conditions. The cameras stay dry inside (if you lubricate the zipper regularly), but the outer back make this backpack feel like a wet dog. Unless they have recently realised that a waterproof photobag should have an outer shell that is actually waterproof.
Viking Lars
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Viking Lars »

I agree competely, Jeroen, but I still find it's the best out there for carrying lots of stuff into a wet environment.

It's also bugger to open - the fact that you have to operate two openings to get to your gear is also a pain, but still - it's the best...

And yes, zippers must be lubricated, but that goes for ALL waterproof zippers. I have a friend who's a professional diver - he's quite adamant about the conditions of his waterproof zippers on his drysuits, and says that regular lubrications is the only way to keep them in good condition.

I think I could design a better one for LowePro, but they haven't called yet, God knows why :-)

Lars
Great flycasters don't think straight - they track straight.....

If it moves - and shouldn't, use duct tape...
If it's stuck - and should move, use WD40...
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Give me a buzz if they call. I might have some ideas ;)
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

I was in the outlet store and saw patagonia stormfront backpack that looked simple and good, but was gone when I returned (too much for me at full price). Kinda of glad I don't live in Rainland and need vs want this.
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc
Pals
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Pals »

Thanks for the answers guys, I really appreciate! I'll have a closer look at the stuff you're suggesting - right now I'm kinda leaning to the Ortlieb, but I'll have to check if my camera fits in there. The Patagonia bag looks nice too, but it isn't for me: too expensive + too big. I'm after something that I can carry in my back pack - I don't really need it to be shaped like a rucksack (same with the LowePro I guess). Bag with raincover on the other hand is not secure enough for my trip - I might very well end up in the river occasionally. ;)
Pals
keystone
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by keystone »

Hi,
Have you looked at the Ortlieb Aqua Cam bag.
It'a bigger than the Aquazoom and much more versatile and as ever guaranteed waterproof.
Had mine for about 4 years without any problems/leaks.
Dave.
Malcolm
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Malcolm »

I have a completely different way of doing this and I spend a lot of my time on the remote lochs here in Scotland.

Firstly a compromise. I only take a single lens: the Nikon 18-200 which focuses very close in addition to being a very wide zoom. The quality is very good too but not up to the standard of a selection of prime lenses if I were to blow the shots up to a metre wide.

The first thing I do is - if it's wet - I put it in a small cheap plastic bag which cost about 50p! I fold the opening over the lens and secure it with an elastic band. If it's dry I don't bother. I then put it in my Lowe Pro camera case and strap it around my waist so that I have immediate access to it if interesting shots should appear while walking in. Wildlife won't wait for me to unship it from my rucksac!

I've done this for years and never had a problem. I've even given the whole set up a few dunkings when I've stumbled in hip waders, with no ill effects.