PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Canon 6D/5DmkII/5DmkIII - WTF?

Rich Knoles
flybitch 2008

Canon 6D/5DmkII/5DmkIII - WTF?

Post by Rich Knoles »

Can one of you real camera guys explain some of the differences in these cameras? Perhaps an insightful review of the features and uses. I'm nearly ready to fork on a full frame, but the waters be all muddy and shit.
Compare

I'm going to ask about lens specifications pretty soon too.
JAT
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by JAT »

Sony A99 for me it's awesome!
phaidros
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by phaidros »

sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

They put took out the joystick of the 6D. I loved that on my 40D since it was so easy to control the focus point.
The 5d mark III seems overpriced and 6D is newer than the 5d mark II so I think I would go to the shop, try them all out and if 6D was good for me, would walk out with it.
I'm here just for the chicks.

President of The Village Idiots of Vantaa Rapids
President of The Casting Federation of Finland

-Sakke
JanMan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by JanMan »

Rich,

I've only read a short introduction to the 6D (and I'm not too impressed with the specs) but I guess the question is which differences between these cameras matter to YOU, i.e. what will you be using it for (mostly)?

For example:

- Will you be shooting video as well and if so, how important is autofocus and sound level control?
- Will you be shooting high speed action with the outer focus points?

The 5DIII is no doubt the best in this lineup but also the most expensive.
6D appears to be a funny in-between thing (less pro features than the 5D models but high ISO, small body size/weight and GPS and WiFi if that's important to you).
5DII is still an awesome camera. IMO the only significant difference between the II and the III is better AF tracking with outer focus points and the option of video autofocus in the III. I imagine that you can find a good deal on a 5DII now that the 5DIII has been out a while.

I've had my 5DII close to three years now - still love it and see no reason (for me) to upgrade.

Jan
Morsie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Morsie »

Rich, I have the 7D and the 5d MkII. I bought the 5DMk II because it came second hand with 2 great lenses at a very good price (literally 1 lady owner who had shot off about 500 frames). I still use the 7D 95% of the time. For what I do I don't think cameras come any better than the 7D (I don't shoot movies for instance). I don't know much about these newer cameras, I'm not all that interested either, I wish I'd bought a second 7D, but then again, I wouldn't have these lenses. Not being full frame has both its advantages and disadvantages, but in RAW its all I'll ever need. The 8fps and the easy of use is the clincher over the 5d MkII. I just keep the 5DMkII for grip 'n grins with a 16-35 lens.

Morsie
That was the river - this is the sea........