PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

How many?

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

How many?

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi, how many of you have an analyzer? Who has tried one but doesn´t have one? And finally who here uses them when teaching?

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
WetWading
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by WetWading »

Used, not owned. Not sold on the teaching application for most casters.
"You cannot step into the same river twice. In the flow of time, an opportunity lost is lost forever."
-Heraclitus

BetterLoops.com
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

Tried one for a couple of days. Used one time with an advanced student.
Interesting for me but of very limited usage with "normal" students.
Aitor is not like us, he is Spanish, and therefore completely mad.
Cheers
, Paul

No discutas nunca con un idiota, la gente podría no notar la diferencia.
Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
easterncaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by easterncaster »

tried it at shows. do not own, thought about it. it would be for me, me, me.
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Paul

Haven't got one, haven't tried it, and because of that does not use one for instruction :p

Have tried something similar a friend made up some years ago, but the gyro wasn't fast enough so we had some very interesting readings without peak speeds :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
jomeder
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by jomeder »

Hi Paul,

I've tried one ( actually two, one at a shop here and yours ) but don't own one. If I had some money I'd buy one, because I think it's a really interesting gadget.

I'm not sure about it for teaching less advanced students. I suspect there would only be a small number who would really get to grips with what you were showing them. I think it would certainly be useful for more advanced casters in helping them understand more about their stroke.

I've been thinking about this, and I think a more widely useful analysis tool would be an HD video camera. That way you can record a student and then both look at it together and talk about what's happening. That's not to take anything away from the analyser, I just think more people would feel comfortable looking at the video than the graph.

Regards,

Jo
WetWading
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by WetWading »

I've used video. I think more casters can understand it because it's pretty easy for people to recognize a fault when they can see themselves doing it. Not everyone can visualize what's happening when you're talking about a point or slope on a graph. I think it requires a certain amount of experience with graphs.

Chase
"You cannot step into the same river twice. In the flow of time, an opportunity lost is lost forever."
-Heraclitus

BetterLoops.com
grhen
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by grhen »

I use it for Casting Instructors Workshops. We do video and the analyzer, though not at the same time. It confirms the verbal critiques and gives us things to look for in the video. I also present a module on its use and how to read the graphs.
tp://CastFlys.Com]CastFlys.Com[/URL]
jmac
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by jmac »

Our flyfishing club purchased an Analyzer about two years ago and it's utility is a mixed bag. We now have at least one record of most of our members and we have sessions where we compare the results versus the "experts" and versus each other. Some of our members are comfortable looking at graphical output and have used the results to modify their techniques and compare new results with our data base. We also have members that have little interest in the results. We have also made the Analyzer available to the general public at our local "Orvis Days" and forward their results via email. In some cases this has resulted in new members for our club.
We think the purchase of the Analyzer has been beneficial for our club and are now looking at adding video results to our casting sessions. We think the video will make the graphical Analyzer output easier to interpret the results for some members.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

It's possible to combine video and analyser, and I think that would be potentially very interesting for instructors. I've used video and found it very useful, but very difficult to use in the field. There needs to be a better and quicker way of seeing what you are doing - possibly a mirror would be better!

I think what I would really like to know, is if there are analysers out there, then why is this forum not busy? Here you can ask the developers what they think about their product, how they use it and I'm sure they'd be interested in feedback for future development.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
grhen
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by grhen »

For info on video and the analyzer in concert we need to ask the moderators. See here. Though it looks like it was probably a lot of work to come up with those.
jmac
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by jmac »

I would like to see more active participation from Bruce Edwards and Bruce Perkins the moderators of this forum and developers of the Analyzer. I would like to hear of their experience in using the Analyzer and what if any plans they have for product improvement. I for one would like to see the written report include the graphical output. I also get the impression the swing/ spring controversy has "spooked" them from more active participation.
KiKi
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by KiKi »

I have one but don't use it much. I gave up as the pda kept crashing. during the recording of a cast. It also told me Charles Jardine was creeping when I tried to record his cast which definitely he wasn't. I must upload his files here :laugh:
Keith
grhen
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by grhen »

Mine told me I was creeping and I was convinced that it was wrong... until I used sow-mo video and found a couple of degrees of creep, just as it had told me.
Most crashes during the cast are due to the cable not being plugged in firmly at one end or the other. I had that problem a lot when I first started using it. Now I always check the connections prior to each test.
Whakamahi kid
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Whakamahi kid »

I sure that Ross Brawn has one