PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

CA Purchase Justification

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I'd like to see it wireless, this was a suggestion made when it was prototype but the costs then were too high.
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Tom
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Tom »

Another thing.
A locking S-video/Mini Din connector.........
Am I the only one that sometimes loose
the signal? :D

Tom.
Tom
Doug Swift
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Doug Swift »

Tom
I,ve had the same occasional problem loosing the signal due to loose connections (mostly at the rod butt end). A bit of electrical tape is a temporary solution, but inconvenient for storage etc.

I don,t regret the investment in the CA. I practice with it a lot to keep my casts as consistent as I can. I have also found that it is a great tool for teaching casters in the intermediate stage. Sometimes it can be difficult to visually analyze a particular "essential" of the cast at certain levels and I find that the CA can help out with your diagnosis.
I think that the more tools and methods we have at our disposal to teach with the better. Easier for the instructor to teach, easier for the student to learn. What more can you ask for?
Doug
gordonjudd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by gordonjudd »

BTW: I'm working at the moment on the field of wireless sensor networks, the CA looks for me like stone age :) (sorry) I'm planning something else, but this requires time and money ..

Thorsten,

I am interested in a 6-DOF sensor that can capture 12 bit data at a 500Hz-1Khz rate. What have you found in the sensor market (wireless preferred) with these kind of capabilities?

At $2500 US the Xsens is out of my price range.

Thanks,
Gordy
"Flyfishing: 200 years of tradition unencumbered by progress." Ralph Cutter
Tom
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Tom »

Is the sensor analog?
Tom
Torsten
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Torsten »

Hi Gordy,

As I've written - I don't want to promise that much at the moment. But I'm thinking in that direction - price should be well under $500. Self build of course.

Bye..
Torsten
^^ Warning: The above text contains misspellings, grammatical errors and of course nonsense.
gordonjudd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by gordonjudd »

Is the sensor analog?

Tom,
Yes. The spec sheet for the sensor is at
Murata Gyrostar

Gordy
Tom
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Tom »

Hi Gordy.
Is this equivalent to the sensor that is used today?
As far as I know the angular velocity range is higher.
Tom
Tom
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Tom »

Hi Torsten.
It`s not that I`m nosy, :D but have you
decided which sensors you will use?

Tom.
Tom
gordonjudd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by gordonjudd »

Is this equivalent to the sensor that is used today?
As far as I know the angular velocity range is higher.

Tom,
That is a question that Noel Perkins would have to answer.

Even though the maximum angular velocity rate specified for the Gyrostar is +/-300 deg/sec it will respond and give accurate results for higher rates.

Bruce Richards comment on the subject in the Analyzer Interpretation thread was,
we've tested our gyros and know that they give accurate measurements of more than 1000 deg/sec. I've never seen a cast with angular accel. higher than 850 deg/sec so I don't think anyone is going to be exceeding the limits of the device anytime soon.

Gordy
Torsten
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Torsten »

Hi Gordy,
Even though the maximum angular velocity rate specified for the Gyrostar is +/-300 deg/sec it will respond and give accurate results for higher rates.

How do you get this idea - have you tried it. I've seen already this sensor but rejected it because of the small range. If I've read it correctly the voltage scales with 0.67 mV/deg/s. (IMHO you need +- 600°/s minimum).

OK, I'll see what I can do - I have already constructed a wireless platform (that was part of my work) - size approx. 20x30mm. Extending it with some sensors shouldn't be that hard - only time consuming.

Bye..
Torsten
^^ Warning: The above text contains misspellings, grammatical errors and of course nonsense.
gordonjudd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by gordonjudd »

How do you get this idea - have you tried it?

Thorsten,

I have not tried the Gyrostar, but I think Noel Perkins tested it very thoroughly during his development phase.

I may be a trusting soul, but I will take Bruce's comment that

"we've tested our gyros and know that they give accurate measurements of more than 1000 deg/sec"

as being true. I don't know if they had to use a correction table to get accurate values for higher rotation rates, but that would be a straightforward solution as long as the curve was monotonic, and you had reliable values from another more accurate measurement source.

I will be very interested in what you find, as I think the 6-DOF sensors could give accurate 3-D rotation and translation values. For anyone who turns their wrist while casting, the 1-D limitation of analyzer would tend to produce a smaller rotation rate than the actual ones. Based on your and Grunde's force over distance model I am trying to go to a longer hand path ala Lefty, and for me that requires turning the wrist. Consequently I think the current analyzer could give misleading numbers for that casting style.

Good luck with your project.

Gordy
grunde
Master of The Kettle

Post by grunde »

I agree with Gordy. Long-hand-travel casting styles are very very difficult pull off without wrist rotation and within the "analyzer plane" during the whole stroke.

Therefore the reported peak values and casting arcs (integrated angular velocities) would tend to be under estimated.

Seems to remember that reported arcs in Pauls "170 deg. cast" where a bit low...

Looking forward to hear about Torstens progress on the wireless multi-sensor analyzer :)

Cheers,
Grunde
"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful."
George E. P. Box

Always question the assumptions!

Flycasting Definitions
Tom
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Tom »

And the haulspeed? :D

Tom.
Tom
grhen
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by grhen »

Going back to the original question...

Where I find the CA most useful is during my Casting Instructors Workshops. Quite a few people come in with tailing loops and once they learn how to read the graphs in class we have them all cast while hooked up. This way they get to see their power spikes causing the tails, and when compared to a cast of smooth acceleration they really get it.

But beware of putting too much credibility in the reports when testing someone. They can sometimes be contradictory. The results are usually ok for a beginner but for a more advanced caster you really need to be watching the caster and the loops.
tp://CastFlys.Com]CastFlys.Com[/URL]