PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Knots in leader

mustang_50matt
IB3 Member Level 1

Knots in leader

Post by mustang_50matt »

I've noticed that after a practice session I had 3 or so knots in the last foot or so of my leader and also in my tippet. Being a green FF I'm not able to consistently throw tight loops yet, I'm actually throwing a combo of tight, open and tailing. Am I right in thinking that I'm getting those knots when I get a bit bungled up on a tailing loop cast? Next, what's the best way to eliminate this problem? I'm geussing it's in my stops? I've been reading thru the site and the board a lot lately but there may be something I missed...Or maybe it's just time for me to spend an afternoon with someone that knows what the hell they're doing.
Anyway, thanks ERIC for turning me on to Sexyloops!
"Fuck! I'm still alive and fishing! Right on!" --Eric--
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

Hey Matt,
Welcome to the board :D

You're right on with thinking it's a tailing loop. The leader is crossing itself and tying into a knot. Here's a good bit from Paul about Tailing Loops.

We can head out and work on wrangling those out :) Good to loop on a practice leader as well so you don't screw up a nice fishing leader.

Eric
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

mustang_50matt wrote:Or maybe it's just time for me to spend an afternoon with someone that knows what the hell they're doing.

hey Matt,

yup, looks like you might have to do some traveling though. the locals don't seem to be up to par :p :whistling: :D

just kidding. Eric'll set you straight. :cool:

as you see on the Tailing Loops link it can be any number of reasons. most likely you'll need an observer to find out what's going on. try to figure out which one you're more notorious at and work on that one first.
it can be a quick fix or a long process. be patient and work at it with you're lovely daughter :)

cheers,
marc
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

From the link above:

Forward Creep
...Your backcast is travelling backwards, your rod tip is travelling forwards, the backcast straightens pulling the rod tip under the Straight Line Path and you throw a classic tailing loop.

Is this what happens actually? :???:
Aitor is not like us, he is Spanish, and therefore completely mad.
Cheers
, Paul

No discutas nunca con un idiota, la gente podría no notar la diferencia.
Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
Daniel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Daniel »

I'm not sure that "the backcast straightens pulling the rod tip under the straight line path", or if you pull the tip under the straight line path by reducing your arc (via creep) for the given length of line. Either way the rod tip is dipping under the SLP.

What do you think Aitor?

Cheers
Daniel
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I often find the same thing Matt. Three knots in the tippet after a casting session in the field is to be expected. Can you throw tight/open/tailing by choice? That's a great way to find consistency in casting.

Cheers and welcome!
Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

Daniel wrote:I'm not sure that "the backcast straightens pulling the rod tip under the straight line path", or if you pull the tip under the straight line path by reducing your arc (via creep) for the given length of line. Either way the rod tip is dipping under the SLP.

What do you think Aitor?

Cheers
Daniel
Daniel,

IMHO the straightening of the backcast doesn't pull the rod tip under SLP.
Cheers
, Paul

Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
mustang_50matt
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mustang_50matt »

Paul Arden wrote:Can you throw tight/open/tailing by choice? That's a great way to find consistency in casting.

Cheers and welcome!
Paul

I'm going to have to answer this with "not really". What I think I'm doing is bouncing back and fourth. I'll throw an open loop and try to fix it and I'll work into a tight loop for a couple casts then they'll start tailing, then all over again. Sometimes it's a open then tailing back to back. I think Marc is right. I'll just have to bribe Eric into helping me out for an afternoon.
mattklara
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mattklara »

Aitor, Daniel, let's move the Creep and SLP discussion over to another thread. Thanks guys! Matt :)
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?" - joesnuffy
Daniel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Daniel »

No worries. I suppose it's not really suitable in the beginners section.

Anyway, welcome to the board Matt, with some help from Eric and the information contained on this site you'll sort those tails out in no time.

All the best
Daniel
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

You are right, Matt. Never mind.
Cheers
, Paul

Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
mattklara
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mattklara »

Which Matt?

Welcome new Matt!!

Ask Eric about rolling out the leadeye bunnies during your next casting session.
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?" - joesnuffy
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I think the remaining energy of the loop straightening can cause a tailing loop, but I agree that the main cause of Creep causing a tail is the result of too narrow a casting arc. (We can cut and paste this into the other thread!)

Matt, Bill Gammel's Guide to SL is a great article!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

mattklara wrote:Which Matt?
You :D
Cheers
, Paul

Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
mustang_50matt
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mustang_50matt »

Now that all the confusion of the Matts is taken care of. (I have a doormat that says "Hi, I'm mat")

I took my little girl out for a practice session today, only about 10 minutes though...it's a bit chilly for her to be out and she found a patch of frost on the sidewalk and kept slipping on it.

Anyway, I tried to concentrate on not creeping and it seemed to help quite a bit. I'm still throwing a tailing every once in a while but not nearly as much. My loops are looking a lot better but I would say I still have a long way to go for them to be considered good.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll keep practicing.

Cheers,

-Matt-