PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Belgian and Oval Cast

115-1252181557

Post by 115-1252181557 »

Stefan,

EFFA - yes that is politics as far as I've read! :p

I find I relax into elliptical casting whenever I am not specifically thinking about the exact vertical plane. It just comes so easily and seems to suit me when relaxed.

A completely different question but seeing as you live in a colder climate, I wonder if you can answer. Have you developed any fool proof method for practicing rolls and speys away from the water? Is the MPR the solution?

Spey casts are quite a big chunk of this test and it's noticeable that due to frozen rivers at the moment my practice is leaving them out.... it's all very well talking about them but hands on practice is needed! :D

Scott
stesiik
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by stesiik »

Hi Mark!

I don´t think it´s a very good term in that context at all.

But I think the term is very useful for teaching abstract small details that gives the caster things like dynamic drift, very clean loops and better slack reduction though.

Have you developed any fool proof method for practicing rolls and speys away from the water? Is the MPR the solution?

I have'nt found anything perfect yet. Snow is quite good!

MPR and a carpeted floor is a great way to pracise your rolls and speys. I prepped most of the MCCI with the MPR since it was winter then. Just remember to watch how your anchor lands and be picky. Crashed or sloppy anchors works on land but is a real mess on water.

Best regards
Stefan
Dead fish don´t rise. They spawn poorly too.

Working Casting Definitions
Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Is what we're saying here that a "continuous tension cast" isn't actually significantly different with respect to tension than any other cast ?

I've always thought that a "continuous tension cast" must be quite a wierd creature, but thats because I have assumed that the "continuous tension" expression implies a fixed, constant, tension in the line....

Wonder who came up with the term...?
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
stesiik
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by stesiik »

Hi Mark!

It's the use of "constant" that bugs us right? Should really be something else right? Constant implies something that does not change right?

If you would swing the line around in a circle the tension would be rather constant I guess?

An oval will perhaps give more greater tension through the "points", but the line is still held taunt thoughout the cast with the help from the centrifugal force. Maybe that is what it means?

Near throughout tension is what I think I feel when my casting is really in the zone. The rod is heavy and the line is taunt even when the loop is unrolling. The rod is never still, it's either powering, damping, drifting or turning. The hauling hand either fine-tunes tension or adds speed.

Best regards
Stefan

victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

I'm a bit bemused between the difference between a Belgian cast and an oval cast, I didn't think there was one.

I guess it might be that if the belgian cast is for a heavy fly and 45' it is supposed to be more along the lines of the Italian style (TLT?) with no pause whereas the oval cast does have a pause and will throw a more open loop for multi fly rigs.

Just guessing,

Mike
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/
115-1252181557

Post by 115-1252181557 »

Hi Guys,

A few people have been in touch and apparently the split I was enquiring about is no longer. They have been amalgamated and agreed that it is the same cast.

Still begs the question why/how I ended up with a previous revision of the syllabus?!

Scott
Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

stesiik wrote:It's the use of "constant" that bugs us right? Should really be something else right? Constant implies something that does not change right?
Whatever its called, as its been described on here, I don't think "Constant" or "Continuous" tension is a very helpful way of describing these casts....

I'm going to use "Eliptical" from now on because my understanding of the above terms has left me slightly confused and open to potentially horrific public ridicule. :glare:
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Snake Pliskin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Snake Pliskin »

Elliptical works for me! Some good stuff in Jason Borgers book about these casts. Any good videos on the web of these styles?
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Elliptical casting

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Snake Pliskin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Snake Pliskin »

Thanks! I think I do it ok, I've just never seen one of the "masters" of this style do it.
stesiik
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by stesiik »

Hi Steve!

Just ask Lasse or even better Silja to show you the next time you meet them. :)

Best regards
Stefan

Snake Pliskin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Snake Pliskin »

Well I haven't met either of them yet! When I do I'll be sure to ask, along with my customary 10,000 other questions...
totsy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by totsy »

stesiik wrote:Hi Mark!

If you would swing the line around in a circle the tension would be rather constant I guess?

An oval will perhaps give more greater tension through the "points", but the line is still held taunt thoughout the cast with the help from the centrifugal force. Maybe that is what it means?

Best regards
Stefan
Hely Mark,

Make sense to me.

With some line out. From a birds eye view look directly down on the caster, just make big circles with the rod tip without stopping so the bird would see the tip forming an 'O' shape. In my mind this is constant tension. The is no stop and no loop formation, more of a non-loop. For me that is the back cast of the belgian cast.

The eliptical has the a stop on the back cast.

Both are oval :)

Ta, Lee.
Orvis Endorsed

www.doublehaul.co.uk/
stesiik
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by stesiik »

Hi Snake!

The good elliptical casters vary the oval both in narrowness and length to handle longer lines and produce tighter loops. It's not more difficult than making tight loops by casting tight loops over the top, it´s rather a bit easier.

Marc uses a fair bit of creative elipses in his style.

An up side down backcast makes for a superb smooth pickup as you allready know. You and I did some of that in Scotland when we joined spey togheter with overhead casting. Creative use of different casting planes allows for some nice change of direction casts too. We did a bit of that aswell.

I am not surprised that you don´t remember. We did maybe 30 different variations of casts togheter that day. You are the first caster I've met who could do any cast just as well with your other hand. That was very annoying! :D :D

Best regards
Stefan

Snake Pliskin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Snake Pliskin »

I do remember! That was a lot of fun. Mine looks ok to me, but there is always someone cool to learn from who does it way way better. :cool: