PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

braided loop

drummermajor
IB3 Member Level 1

braided loop

Post by drummermajor »

Ho do i attach a braided loop to my fly line. i did read somewere that you use super glue.
Cheers Maxie
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

Hi Maxie,
Super glue is fair, but is stiff and a little flexibility is better if you can. There are some more flexible instant (or close to it) glues out there that are better. The Loctite brand has a flexible adhesive that works great for a lot of line/fishing related uses. Another option could be the UV cured adhesives from either Rio or Loon, very handy stuff. The gel type products might need to be worked in a touch to penetrate the braid.

If you've just got the braid line, you can make a loop by pushing a threader through an end, then out the side, then pulling the other end back through. Can get more specific if you need.

Check these out to get some ideas.
Lars, DIY shooting head enthusiast: Loop and Line repairs
Lasse: Smooth Connections, #2 and #3

1) You've already got the loop from a pack, right? It might have come with a little tube, maybe not. If you've got the little sleeve, put it on first.
2) Just push the fly line up through the bottom of the braid as far as you can, up through the doubled section to the loop. Try not to fray the bottom too much but it's not a major concern.
3) Pinch the bottom (frayed end over the line) and pull lightly to smooth and tighten the braid.
4) Secure the line in the braid. Get the sleeve out of the way if applicable. Then put a small drop of glue on the braid over the end of the line. The thin stuff will wick in quickly. Let it set.
5a) Secure the line/braid intersection with sleeve. Clip off the frayed end as cleanly as possible. If you've got a sleeve, slide if overlapping this junction, drop of glue the edge (it should wick in), you're done.
5b) Secure the line/braid intersection without sleeve. Whip over the junction with thread.

There's lots of info on youtube or google as well.
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc
jomeder
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by jomeder »

Hi Maxie,

I don't know if you tie flies or not, but if you do you can tie down the end of the braided loop with tying thread and cover it with flexible glue like the ones Eric mentions. I personally use Aquaseal and that has worked well. Doing it this way makes a nice smooth join.

I'd explain further but I have a bad cold and my brain has ceased functioning. If you do tie flies and are interested in hearing more about how I attach the loop let me know and I'll post something when I'm feeling better :-).

Regards,

Jo
Rich Knoles
flybitch 2008

Post by Rich Knoles »

I'd throw the sleeve away and use two nail knots of 10lbs mono on the braid.
Mike R Rubino
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mike R Rubino »

I just whip finish about 75 turns of thread at the end of the loop. Coat that with hard as nails ,trim any frayed mono and we're good to go.
Bobinmich
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bobinmich »

If you stay for the night here's what I like. Tie your leader directly to the flyline with a nail knot. Coat with Loon UV or similar to get a nice smooth bump. Tie a perfection loop at about .009". Then handshake the remainder of your leader, tippet, and fly. This allows you to switch over to a .009 level leader and tie on your muddler or mouse for night without trying to retie in failing light. Most of your leaders will be close to the same down to .009" so you can handshake most any leader tippet combination to change your length or weight for different drys in different water conditions.

Bob
pyko
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by pyko »

Bobinmich wrote:Tie your leader directly to the flyline with a nail knot.
Ditto.
Better turn-over, less 'hinging' & I've seen too many guys pop a sleeve off & leave it trailing the fish.
You can observe a lot just by watching.
Yogi Berra
Daniel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Daniel »

This ^^^^^^^