PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Anti-haul fix / seated casting

Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Anti-haul fix / seated casting

Post by Eric »

Was out with a friend fishing from a canoe and noticed his cast failing more than normal. He’s got a fair cast while standing, doesn’t haul yet and keeps his line hand relatively low and still, fishable to 30-35’. However, when we got seated in the canoe (mines round bottom and pretty tippy) he ended up using raising his line hand and has the dreaded anti-haul especially on the forward cast. I’m defining “anti-haul” as when the line hand comes up toward the rod hand toward the end of the cast feeding line and killing tension. Could say negative haul or dark haul as well. Whatever you call it he was also pushing the on delivery, killing his distance and piling the leader.

Since we were fishing and he was a bit frustrated already with missed chances during a decent but dwindling evening midge hatch, I didn’t want to start lecturing from the casting bible. I ended up just saying to keep his line hand at his chest. It was a patch but it mostly worked since he was compensating for his seated position by using a very long stroke length. Seemed to add a bit of a haul actually.

Thought I’d share that and was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions or quick fixes? I did maneuver the boat a bit so he had to deliver on his backcast which was in better shape, but that’s just a secret between us.
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc
xyl
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by xyl »

Hi Eric, as another patch overlining comes to my mind. A heavier line will cause the rod to bend deeper which will help your friend maintaining that straight tip path without using the body too much. Body rocking is not a good idea when fishing from a "pretty tippy" canoe for obvious reasons. Maybe your friend felt uncomfortable with this situation and kept his body stiffer than necessary?
Furthermore a more bent rod might also take care of some line slack.

Cheers, Svend
Svend

Leave no trace.
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

Yeah the stiff body sounds right. Next time, I'll try to get him to practice from a camp chair maybe or perhaps tie him to a lifting dolly like Hannibal Lector style :D
xyl
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by xyl »

Practicing from a camp chair sounds like fun. How about putting a beer in his line hand. Might have a relaxing effect and it will stop him from using it for less important things, like anti-hauling. Or double hauling for that matter.

Cheers
Svend

Leave no trace.
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

Gonna have to test this to be sure it's safe. :whistling: