PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

dry flys in winter

maxie
IB3 Member Level 1

dry flys in winter

Post by maxie »

Hi can we still use dry flys in winter. it seems a pity that we can only use dry flys in summer, couse i think this is just about the best way of fishing and the most satisfying. Any tips would be great
Cheers Maxie
jomeder
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by jomeder »

Hi Maxie,

You can use them if the fish want them :-). There's no rules (except where there are :???: ) apart from the ones the fish make. I have fished little midge/buzzer dries and emergers to fish in winter, when there's been a buzzer hatch on. Generally I haven't found winter to be a great time for catching fish off the top round here, but if you get an opportunity go for it. It will depend on what's happening on the rivers and lakes that you fish.

Regards,

Jo
andy_with_a_rod
BBBB Nr 4!

Post by andy_with_a_rod »

maxie, im not sure where in the world you're based, but as Jo says, if the fish want to take off the top then feed it to them there! I fished a swollen dirty river yesterday, and had a window of maybe 20-30 mins where I could definitely have fished dries, there was some sort of hatch on. but with the low water temperatures it soon ended.
if the rules allow it, why not fish a dry fly with a nympf suspended below it, gives you a dry fly to look at/catch fish with, and gives you a chance to catch nymphing fish too.
"God's always with me;
standing beside me with his big black dick."

Paul Arden.
Charlie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Charlie »

Maxie hi,

My two cents worth ..... whilst agreeing with all the above, as water temps fall in winter fish are less active and feed less. When they do feed it continues to be the 70/30 or 60/40 rule between sub surface and off the top. Assume that a fish feeds 100 pc in summer and that this falls to 60 pc in winter then - your 70/30 or 60/40 will fall to something like 42/18 below and above in winter ie you will as a rule have 50 % less chance of taking on a dry than in summer - unless a good hatch is underway.

Despite the above, hell, if you want to fish a dry and enjoy it then do so! And you may want to try Andy's advice and drop a small nymph below the dry :)
70 % of the world is covered in water - GO FISH!

That's what fish are there for!
Onecast
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Onecast »

Maxie; If you are looking for quantity then the dry in the cold times will not be too productive.

However: If you just want the pleasure of luring a wily fish up to the surface for a feed, and you can see the fish you are fishing for. If the fish is actively feeding High in the water column. You have a very good chance of seeing that fish move up and inhale your fly.

I fish The Dry in the colder months before the streams close foe spawning out here in N.Z. and do pretty well and do not mind my fishing buddy doing better with a nymph.

Using a Nymph on a dropper will I am sure get a few more fish. But then in my mind that is not Fishing The Dry. Whatever you choose, just as long as you are having fun. Jax
A Man is only as big as the things that annoy him.
flyfishfairwx
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by flyfishfairwx »

maxie wrote:Hi can we still use dry flys in winter. it seems a pity that we can only use dry flys in summer, couse i think this is just about the best way of fishing and the most satisfying. Any tips would be great
Cheers Maxie
Maxie, you will get your answer in Friday's Front Page..

:p :kungfo:
As in the army I have never had a bad day fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable ones but never a bad one.
Everybody must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Tying and believe I will
A member of the order of the Odonata
Vice-President of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing CANADA
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

Lucky enough to live on a year round tailwater. Around November the flows drop (no snow melting and the dams start to hold water for the upcoming year), so warm afternoons with little wind can be great... for a couple hours. Much slower water than summer, pools, backeddies and deeper side braids that haven't frozen. The shallow margins that get sun starting in the morning through afternoon (few trees or east/west runs) can hold great fish that are warming themselves. They're not actively feeding and are really spooky but a dry is only way at them. Spotting can be great with the clear low water and ample light since the trees and willows have shed their leaves. Generally we have a reliable midge hatch with occasional small olives and stones. You'll be one of the few out there :)
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc