PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Fly lines Sink rates

maxie
IB3 Member Level 1

Fly lines Sink rates

Post by maxie »

Hi i am a bit confused with all the diferent sinking lines. I am thinking of buying a fast sink line for lures and fishing still waters. i have cast a sinking line however i could not see the line couse it was blackand how do you tell when to pull the line up to cast again. I found the line was very easy ro cast. Can anyone help with some advice.
Cheers Maxie
maxie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by maxie »

Please forgive the writing in tjhe above post, still new to computers
Maxie
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Maxie, no problems with the post! :) They're quite easy to cast because they are thinner. The dark colours make them difficult to judge distance especially on rivers where it matters most. A brighter sinking line would be a good option, but the market seems to prefer dark colours, or maybe there is another problem.

With regards the question as to when to know it's time to lift the rod, this is a good one. You could whip a market point on the line. I've never done that and with practise I just seem to know when it's time to lift.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
VoodooChild
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VoodooChild »

Hey Maxie,
Sinking lines are great but it can be a problem figuring where your fly is in the water column. You can try the “count-down” method where you assume that the sink rate marked on the line’s package is valid and you also know just how deep the water is. In my experience the count-down rate rarely matches the manufacturer’s stated sink rate and is probably due to water temperature/density differences. A good way to approach learning how to fish sinking lines is to use a streamer that rides with the hook point up, like bend-back, that way if you do manage to sink your line to the bottom there is less chance it will snag. Keep the count-down in your head regardless and that will give you a good point of reference for future casts. I am sure with a little time under your belt you will get it.
Regards,
-Marshall
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Counting in my head doesn't work for me, or at least not when fishing a HiD. I use a stopwatch.

Flycasting Definitions
Rich Knoles
flybitch 2008

Post by Rich Knoles »

Paul Arden wrote:Counting in my head doesn't work for me, or at least not when fishing a HiD. I use a stopwatch.
Figures :glare:
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I'm not going to spend all my day counting! Fish are 20ft down, you're line sinks 6inches/second, that's a 40 second drop. I think I would lose my mind if I had to count to 40 after every chuck!

I don't have it now, and I have no idea what it was useful for other than fishing, but a friend of mine gave me a counter that started from 0 every time you pushed the button. It was simple and great because you make your chuck, push the button and fish the drop, which may involve pouring a coffee, eating a sandwich or rolling a smoke. What it didn't involve doing was going: 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10...11...12...13...14...15...16...17...18...19...20..
.21...22...23...24...25...26...27...28...29...30...31...Dude, you got a lighter handy? FUCK!!! Where I was I?
And if you really want to annoy your boat partner try counting out loud.

Flycasting Definitions
Al Greig
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Al Greig »

1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10...11...12...13...14...15...16...17...18...19...20..

.21...22...23...24...25...26...27...28...29...30...31...Dude, you got a lighter handy? FUCK!!! Where I was I?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Fook, wot spawt!
VoodooChild
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VoodooChild »

It should be said that there is defiantly a difference between theory and practice. :D In theory the count down will give you some idea of where you fly is in the water-column, in practice counting down is ultra annoying, I usually start my retrieve when my patience has run out. As for lifting the rod for the next cast, I like to strip all the way back to the boat or bank to cover as much water as possible. I think fishing with a sinking line might totally kill your “fishing drys all winter” strategy Maxie. ;)
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
JonnyB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by JonnyB »

The voices in my head count for me :whistling:
jomeder
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by jomeder »

Hi Maxie,

For intermediate and sinking lines I mark my lines at 10' and 20' from the tip. With the marks I can tell how much line there is to retrieve so, for example, I know when I get to the 10' mark I have just enough line left so that I can pick up and cast again without too much trouble. They're also great for fishing at night because you can feel how much line you have left when you retrieve.

I use fly tying floss whipped on to the line. I give it a coating of Aquaseal wader patching glue to protect it and smooth it out. It also helps to make a bump you can feel at night. I use fluoro orange floss at 20' and fluoro chartreuse floss at 10'. I tried to find instructions for the whipping online but no luck. It's a pretty standard Boy Scout style whipping though :-).

Regards,

Jo
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

for marking lines Knot Sense UV in fluo orange is as easy as it gets. apply a small bump, cure, done :)
apply very little at a time and build up if necessary.
it shows very well in the day and one feels the bump at night.

cheers,
marc
jomeder
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by jomeder »

Jeez Marc, if you make it too easy you don't get any sense of gratification ;-).
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

gratification Jo, is in the knowledge that the glue bump is a better method... :p :D :laugh:
andy_with_a_rod
BBBB Nr 4!

Post by andy_with_a_rod »

flouro braided leader loops can help, but im with marc on this one. and im with paul too, after a while you just know where you are. i find that when i start retreiving a sinking line it feels heavy, and as i get towards the end it feels light. im also with paul on the counting, i prefer to feel the chronological force.
"God's always with me;
standing beside me with his big black dick."

Paul Arden.