PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Looking for help/advice - Beginner

KCFlyNewb
IB3 Member Level 1

Looking for help/advice - Beginner

Post by KCFlyNewb »

Hey Board,

My name's Joey and I've just started up fly fishing. After being addicted to regular fishing for the past couple years I decided to venture out into this area for a greater challenge. I'm a full time college student in the KC, Missouri region and am lacking places to fly fish. If anyone is familiar with the area please let me know of any places in relative proximity.

Secondly, a couple of buddies and myself are going to Colorado for a fly fishing trip over our spring break in early/mid March. I was hoping I could get some great locations for fly fishing in Colorado and maybe someone willing to come out for a day to teach us beginners a few tricks/tips. I'm worried that we won't catch a thing, and even more worried my friends will be discouraged and quit fly fishing... Then I will have to go about it myself lol.

I was thinking about areas of the South Platte River but am open to any suggestions due to my complete inexperience in the field. Our trip will be from March 8th or 9th to the 13th or 14th. If anyone has any suggestions of great fishing spots I would be grateful. We plan on camping and would love to do some backpacking/hiking to get to a nice place to fish.

Thanks again for all your help board!
Regards,
Joey
andy_with_a_rod
BBBB Nr 4!

Post by andy_with_a_rod »

welcome joey. when it comes to good FF advice you've landed in a good place.
putting your trip to one side for the moment, hows your casting coming along? some of those rivers require quite a high level of technical ability, have you done much casting?
"God's always with me;
standing beside me with his big black dick."

Paul Arden.
KCFlyNewb
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by KCFlyNewb »

Still new to the fly fishing scene. I've been out a few times to practice my roll cast. However, not much casting experience whatsoever... I had a guy from Cabela's tell me that my friends and I were welcome to bring our gear any time and they would work with us on casting. So I think we're definitely going to head out there for some practice and lessons. Are there any online videos you would recommend? I know videos are no substitute for lessons in person;however, until I find a local fly fishermen I'm kind of stuck.
andy_with_a_rod
BBBB Nr 4!

Post by andy_with_a_rod »

there are bits on pieces on youtube you could look for yeah.
more importantly look here at the sexyloops beginners guide which will have all the info you need to start casting properly.
if you have a cabelas local i would strongly advise that you ask them if there are any FF qualified instructors, these guys will have you casting properly far sooner than just working on your own.
"God's always with me;
standing beside me with his big black dick."

Paul Arden.
mustang_50matt
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mustang_50matt »

READ THE CASTING MANUAL!!!!

SOOOO much valuable info in there, it just takes a loooong time to read thru all of it.

Cheers.
-Matt-
"Fuck! I'm still alive and fishing! Right on!" --Eric--
mustang_50matt
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mustang_50matt »

Also, if you make it to the Colorado Springs area on your trip, I highly recommend hiking in to Rosemont Reservoir for a day. It's a few miles of decent dirt road to the parking area and it's about a half mile hike in. You won't get big fish there but you'll rack up some numbers. Don't skimp on the license there, they check, and are plain clothes rangers. I watched a guy get $600 worth of tickets one day.
TheBadger
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by TheBadger »

I can't give you any location specific advice, just wanted to say that it's awesome to see more keen young guys getting into the sport.

Like Andy and Matt said, work on the casting. Don't neglect line management though (things like stripping line in, mending etc). Oh, and read. Read everything you can get your hands on.
Jack Kos
RIVERWORKS Pro Team
Riverworks
Riverworks Blog
mattklara
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mattklara »

Welcome!

Great advice from Andy and Matt. You will find that the culture here on Sexyloops really emphasizes building your own personal skill set to the greatest extent possible, and then going out and exploring and finding the fish on your own moreso than getting every hot tip on which pools to fish on river so and so. It's a very rewarding approach, but like you said, it is good to have a place to start.

Re: your CO trip, I'd strongly consider contacting a local fly shop in CO and maybe booking a guide trip for a day or more if you can afford it. As a newcomer to FFing, you will learn piles and not have to worry about your buddies. Don't take the responsibility for their success when you yourself are just a beginner.

Stop in the local shops, too. The know their water better than anyone. Be straight with them, tell them your expectations and hopes, and support the shop by buying some flies, licenses, and other stuff you need.

Be sure to ask them about March in CO. That might be still very wintery for alot of fisheries, and winter fishing can be challenging, with deep, drag free drifts and subtle takes the norm.

Glad you are here and fishing! :)

Take care.

Matt
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?" - joesnuffy
mustang_50matt
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mustang_50matt »

Oops...I missed the timeframe...you won't get into Rosemont in march. Definitely hit up the fly shops. they'll point you the right way.

read the casting manual!

Cheers!
-Matt-
Charlie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Charlie »

that the culture here on Sexyloops

Hey shit ! We have culture on SLs :p :p :p :p Made my day
70 % of the world is covered in water - GO FISH!

That's what fish are there for!
KCFlyNewb
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by KCFlyNewb »

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I think we might stay a little closer due to pending funds lol. I think we're looking at fly fishing in the ozarks region of arkansas/missouri. If anyone is familiar with the area or any of the guides in the area I am very open to suggestions. Thank you once again.

Joey
Harps
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Harps »

Hey Joey,

Send a message to Davy if he doesn't see this post.

You can reach him through Sexyloops and find some stuff he has written (excellent Frontpages!): His front page, an old post on Arkansas, and his profile
"Hippies smell better Naked."