PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Quickstart Lesson

Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Quickstart Lesson

Post by Eric »

I've got to give a couple quick start (guide to beginner?) first day out lessons. Was thinking brief run through the tackle, glasses, line downwind, then simple pickup-laydown, and roll... Do you do anything different or take any shortcuts?
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

How long do you have them for, the day?

I used to do many beginners' days for both the reservoir and kids days. In no particular order: safety, tackle, fish and their senses, handling of, why flyfishing, knots and leaders, flies and broad overview of tactics, some entomology, playing fish, and of course casting (overhead PUALD both shoulders, false casting, shooting line, roll cast both shoulders and changing direction at a minimum, although it would be nice to get them hauling and altering trajectory.)

It's a big day. I would mostly concentrate on casting in the morning, with breaks to cover the above theory. Fishing in the afternoon. The reason I wrote the Stillwater Guide was as a course handout so I could concentrate on the casting. Definitely work up some handouts, hardly anyone takes notes!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

Possibly. May be way too much. We're talking a donated (auctioned for a cause) FF day on the water. Will go with something like that if they're interested in an intro day. But it could be a keep em happy, interested, and hopefully onto a few fish kinda thing. Going to try to push a grass session beforehand but not sure that's going to happen.
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I know guides in NZ who have four hours to get the guy who has never fisher onto fish. Tough call. Especially there. Straight on the water with the tension cast. Fishing up and allowing the flies to float directly downstream. If they learn fast they get introduced to false casting. The name of the game however is fish!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Rich Knoles
flybitch 2008

Post by Rich Knoles »

Skip tackle. Safety, PULD, go fish.
Chris68
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris68 »

The name of the game however is fish!

Have to agree with this, you can have them casting sweet loops, wading superbly, knowing the flies hatching, it all means nothing till they catch something ;)

I had a day last season, when the grannom hatch started part way through teaching them about flies and wading, this was curtailed, kit set up and within 30 minutes all clients had caught a couple of fish each.

For beginners, I usually teach the roll cast and the PUALD, then if we have time, combine the 2 casts in a fishing sense
APGAI Single and DH Instructor
FFF THCI and MCI
GAIC Fly Dressing
ADB L1 CCA

http://chrisaldred.blogspot.com/