PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Introduction of a 41-year old virgin

Eikre 9’0” #5
IB3 Member Level 1

Introduction of a 41-year old virgin

Post by Eikre 9’0” #5 »

I went fishing (pole) for the first time with my dad when I was 7. We caught nothing. We went several times again and never ever caught one fish. To me fishing was the most difficult art in the world.

When I turned 12 I was allowed to go fishing by myself. First time I go alone, I catch 4 fish. Small ones. Roaches. Hooked. The adrenaline rush, the excitement, the constant focus,…

I started studying the art of fishing. General fish behavior, their eating habits, weather influences, pond structures, watching others fish, talking about fishing with 60+ years old guys that had been fishing all their lives,…
When I turned 16 I joined a fishing club in my town to be able to compete in fishing tournaments on a pond. I made top 5 TLB of the club 2 years later and never left that top 5 (never made top position neither) until I quit fishing when I was 26 and started to work professionally. I didn’t have the time anymore to put the effort in. Because contrary to general belief, fishing is not a game of luck or secret bait. It’s a game of incomplete information where the ones with the most info will always win in the long term. Much the same as in my other hobby, Texas Holdem No Limit Poker.

The only fly fishing experience I ever had was during one holiday in France when I was 16 on the Gardon river for chub. A lovely one time experience but I never bought a fly fishing rod since l live in Belgium where pristine rivers are rare and wild trout an oddity.

Until this year. I booked a holiday to Norway early July together with my stepson with the sole goal of fly fishing wild browns on the Hemsila river. Our instructor and guide was Tor Grothe, ex-Nordic fly fishing champion. I loved it. Best holiday in years.
I made a little movie about this trip which I will post in the photography section (the movie contains some pictures so technically correct).

Hobby reborn. I consider myself a fly fishing virgin at the moment but that won’t last. Already picked a fly fishing club which I will enter soon. They lease a piece of river on the border with Germany on which they release each year bred trout. Closest thing to real I can get on a regular basis.

Come September I start tying lessons (made my first fly in Norway btw), and I’m already practicing my casting in my garden every day since two weeks now (Thanks Paul for the wonderful Sexyloops cast-section).

The only thing I remember my instructor saying was “Your wrist Steven, your wrist… Oh my God.” You will see in the video what he meant. :(
A #5 rod and a dream can take you anywhere.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Welcome to the Board, Steven! :cool: And thanks for the great intro! I'll watch the movie when I can find WiFi and not a bloody mobile connection :glare: One way to fix the wrist is to practice throwing at targets with the rod upside down and the reel tucked into the forearm.

Great to have you on board!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Eikre 9’0” #5
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eikre 9’0” #5 »

Thx for the wrist-tip. The thing is that during practice-sessions it's not that much of a problem anymore. But the moment I start casting for fish it all disappears. I ran through 50 metres of 6x tippet-line on three days because of bad casts/line-tangling. :angry:
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I think you need to take a deep breath before you cast! :laugh:

Flycasting Definitions
Charlie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Charlie »

Steven hi and welcome and a great intro!

Some great waters in Belgium esp in the Ardennes - some wild, some stockes fish but great countryside / scenery, tricky fishing and some great hatches!

Cheers and enjoy the casting and FFing.

Charlie

Ps buy cheap nylon to start ! :D
70 % of the world is covered in water - GO FISH!

That's what fish are there for!
Eikre 9’0” #5
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eikre 9’0” #5 »

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the welcome.

There are indeed some beautiful rivers in the ardennes. And I agree with you that there are SOME fish in them. :-)
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

Great first post.

Just surround yourself with people who have the same passion as you have for the sport.

Get ready to be nearly bankrupt when you start the tackle obsession. :D :D
Eikre 9’0” #5
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eikre 9’0” #5 »

rrw35 wrote:Get ready to be nearly bankrupt when you start the tackle obsession. :D :D

Thx for the welcome!

Since you are on the subject and obviously speak from experience: what would be a good beginners' vise for a reasonable budget?

Greetz,
Steven
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Spring clamp Sunrise 20-30 quid. The jaws will go eventually and anything below size 18 is a problem. But if it holds the hook - and quickly - that's all you need. Spend the money on decent scissors.

Flycasting Definitions
Bill Gammel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bill Gammel »

Sunrise vise, I was still tying on mine up until just a few years ago. It will do size 20 when it is brand new. The more you use it the less it will hold small.

Good luck you have a life time of learning.

Bill
Eikre 9’0” #5
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eikre 9’0” #5 »

Super proud!

Weekend in The Ardennes near river Ourthe. No trout in sight but this little chub made my day.

Eikre 9’0” #5
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eikre 9’0” #5 »

Many thanks to whomever tied the ant in the SL flyswap 2011 that I got through the Knut Syrstad-auction. It is a killer for chub.
bass
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by bass »

Paul Arden wrote:Welcome to the Board, Steven! :cool: And thanks for the great intro! I'll watch the movie when I can find WiFi and not a bloody mobile connection :glare: One way to fix the wrist is to practice throwing at targets with the rod upside down and the reel tucked into the forearm.

Great to have you on board!

Cheers, Paul
Can't quite picture it, Paul. WOuld you post a pic or link to pic?

Thanks,

B
Bass
Dave Alexander
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Dave Alexander »

Can't quite picture it, Paul. WOuld you post a pic or link to pic?

Thanks,

B

Hi Bass,

Just pretend the fly rod is a baitcaster, start with the rod facing up guides reel etc. Hold the fore grip of the fly rod having the the fly reel rest against the underneath part of your forearm.

At first it seems a little strange, but after one cast you will immediately see how the up facing reel, pushing against the forearm minimizes the use of a wrist on the forward stroke.

Played around with this the other day at the park and it worked nicely. It does feel very weird hauling though, because the guides are facing up... of course the guides do face up on the back stroke... with a normal grip (reel facing down)

Hope that helps...

Cheers,

Dave
just one giant cornucopia of awesomeness
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

It's good for forming a "pulling stroke" too, because it's very awkward to push from this position.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions