PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

What line weight?

Donegali
IB3 Member Level 1

What line weight?

Post by Donegali »

Hi all. I'm new to fly fishing and just about to look at purchasing my first bit of kit. I'm coming across from coarse fishing and am wondering what line weight would be best to learn fly fishing?

My plan is to still hunt some coarse fish such as pike and carp, which I know will require a heavier weight line and rod, #8/9/10. I'm wondering whether to jump into the deep end and buy the heavyweight rod straight away or whether it would be wiser to learn the art on a light or medium weight rod and leave the pike and carp for now?
Riverwader
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Riverwader »

Hi, Start with a Six or a Seven.
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

Personally, I start beginners off with a six. I suggest you take a lesson before you buy anything. The instructor will have a range of tackle that you will be able to try.

To start with you only need a rod, a reel, a line and some mono. You can put a very servicable kit together for under £150, possibly less if you look around.

Perhaps, in your case, as you want to target Pike and Carp, I might go up to a seven.

Mike
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/
andy_with_a_rod
BBBB Nr 4!

Post by andy_with_a_rod »

i would lsy off the pike stuff initially donegally. having a size 2/0 hook fizzing past your face can be a chastening experience for anyone, let alone somebody new to casting!
take a few lessons with an instructor, be confident in you casting with a 6# and then look at stepping up a line size or two, but I certainly wouldnt suggest jumping right in at such a deep end.
"God's always with me;
standing beside me with his big black dick."

Paul Arden.
Snake Pliskin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Snake Pliskin »

Hello mate. Like everyone said, the best bet is to find an instructor first. It really will help in the long run. My advice though is if you want to go fishing straight away then practicing with the rod you'll use for fishing rather than buying a "learning rod" could be the way to go. The instructor will help you out and there is no reason to be wary of a little 8 weight! The sooner you use the kit you'll fish with the more comfortable you'll be on the water with it.
Like Andy says though, there is very good reason to be wary of big Pike flies but stick to fluff on the leader at first and you'll be alright.
Perhaps I'm more of a "if you want to learn to swim, jump in" type!
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Donegali,
I can think of no reason why you can't start off with an eight weight. How big are the carp? Most of my carp I've caught on a 6-weight rod. I wouldn't go for an 8/9/10, just an 8 should be enough. Pike can be really obliging (and fun!) on the fly, so I'd do that.

Get the gear and we can help you pick it up :cool: There's a beginner's section on Sexyloops and I know a few people who learned to flycast from those pages.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Rudi Ferris
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Rudi Ferris »

The 6 -7 is good but the 8 is fine too.

Were I setting up and teaching a beginner on the stillwaters I fish, I wouldn’t shy away from that #8 at all. Good advice you are receiving here. I also believe that beginning may be easier with a slightly larger rod/line size and this may lead to better smoothness and crisp definition, earlier.

Good luck!
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

When I started trout fishing on the reservoirs an 8-weight was the most common line class. The mechanics of the cast are the same no matter what weight you fish. An eight weight, in my opinion, is more than suitable to learn flycasting.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions