PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Ovalization

Merlin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Merlin »

Vince,

It is not clear to me what equation you are speaking about, but we can solve this type of detail in between us, I think this is not the cup of tea of many readers.

I believe it is only reasonable to ask how you reached that conclusion based on a model that it is not possible to validate because it is a structure that does not exist.

It may appear like that, but the structure is representative of a rod made with a single real material. The profile is not commercial, OK, I can run a test on a commercial rod profile. I have the mean to use a more sophisticated approach with several layers of different materials, each in a different orientation. At the end of the day, you have to compute the "equivalent" longitudinal and transversal modulus, and you are back to a calculation for an "equivalent material" that represents the complexity of the building.

The situation for transverse modulus is similar where the model uses 10.8GPa, the 3M resin has a tensile modulus of 4.88GPa.

The transversal modulus is higher than the matrix modulus. The 3M one seems to be twice a standard matrix and this will impact the result. I shall make an estimate of the comparison and let you know the result.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they wont´play if they're maltreated.
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Gordy
I hope you will use some real taper measurements in doing that as I don't think you are going to find a single rod on the market that has the dramatic taper change you used as being more representative of your real rod data.

I wish you would read what I write instead of what you want me to say:

My view of the world is that I am trying to get to a point of using realistic data and that model was a stepping stone, as we are all aware fly rods are made from several materials with varying tapers such that the rod has a variable stiffness along its length. That model was merely a proof of concept to show that it could be done.

As for the rest there is little point in further discussion as we are no further forward than we were last October. You have stated your view and mine is that the Various "forms" of equation and model tuning are to provide fine corrections for model assumptions. It's normal business

Vince
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Merlin

I was trying to point to the results for a scrimless rod that I recall we had discussed previously. It does not matter that much, I have sent you an e-mail with some further information and possible points to look at. It has been a bit rushed but I hope it makes sense.

Your non-commercial rod intrigues me, what is its purpose?

regards

Vince
Merlin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Merlin »

Nothing special Vince, it was designed to minimize the modeling work for the computing center.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they wont´play if they're maltreated.
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life