PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Rod deflection

Bobinmich
IB3 Member Level 1

Rod deflection

Post by Bobinmich »

All,

I needed some data on fly rod deflection at different rod angles so I tested an Orvis rod I had and came up with this.

Rod angle is to the vertical with away from load being positive. Deflection is in the horizontal plane. I found it interesting that when the rod was deflected away from the load, the curve nearly matched the vertical rod while when deflected towards the load, the deflection dropped. The second part is as I expected. The first sort of surprised me. I remember seeing another analysis on this on this board. Any ideas where?

Also, the deflection for the -20 deg rod angle was approximately equal to the vertical deflection times the cosine of 2 times the rod angle. That probably should make sense if I were to think on it a while.

Bob
Merlin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Merlin »

Hi Bob

What about 40 and -40 degrees? I do not think that there is a simple relationship with a cosine.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they wont´play if they're maltreated.
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Bobinmich
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bobinmich »

Merlin,

I thought that might be the case. I was looking for data that would give me a deflection equation for a model
that was a simple function of the angle. It would be easier to curve fit and would only be one equation eliminating some logic programming. I am only putting together a model to show a methodology. Figured I'd better put up or shut up about this handle metrics thing. I have a model that you can actually cast using handle input and looking at line acceleration, velocity, rod deflection, inergy input to handle, energy transferred to the line, and such. It is far to difficult to use at present and still contains that element that makes Gordy puke - a fixed instant center. You can change the instant center however and I hope to make a variable. No where in the model do you need to know the rod frequency but you could probably back it out. For the life of me, I can't figure out why, though.

I'll do the +/- 40 positions but I really don't like the complication. Into ever life, a little rain.....

Bob