PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Modelling

Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Modelling

Post by Stoatstail50 »

I realise that this could be misinterpreted as a frivolous question, its not intended to be.

I've kinda lost the plot with respect to what the Gordy/Merlin SHO model is actually modelling and what it is for...Is it in any way predictive ? has the model that occupies most of this section been used by anyone, for anything ?

Just wondering..
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
gordonjudd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by gordonjudd »

Is it in any way predictive ? has the model that occupies most of this section been used by anyone, for anything ?

Mark,

From the nature of that question I suspect you do not understand that the model is a very useful 1-D approximation that shows how the rod responds to the forcing inputs from the caster.

Gordy
"Flyfishing: 200 years of tradition unencumbered by progress." Ralph Cutter
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

gordonjudd wrote: If you find these technical analysis threads irritating, then you do not have to read them.

nice way once again of pushing people away from your little group Gordy.
if you had taken the time to pull your head out of your ass and really read Mark's question you might have noticed it was a genuine question of interest in the subject... :glare:
Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Hi Gordy

I did quite intentionally state that I didn't mean the question to be frivolous...

the model is a very useful 1-D approximation that shows how the rod responds to the forcing inputs from the caster.

That would have been quite sufficient thanks... :)

If you have no interest in what really goes on in casting that is terrific.

With respect to this and its preamble, if it was directed at me...I'm not quite sure I deserved that.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Jesus, can we be civil please? I'm in the technical forum to try to bridge the gap.

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Merlin »

Mark,

The answer is yes (for me). I hope Bernd can use something from the SHO thread. He may be occupied by fishing (and the rest) for some time, but I do not despair to help him teaching the basics of the fly cast.

To me it has been helpful to better understand rod design, with the help of another set of specific models. It may not be straightforward but there are some indications about design coming out from this simple SHO model. When I started that activity, it was always amazing to challenge a rod designer friend by explaining what his experience was supposed to be from the model, and to get a comment like "this is in line with our experience".

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they wont´play if they're maltreated.
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
gordonjudd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by gordonjudd »

I did quite intentionally state that I didn't mean the question to be frivolous...
That would have been quite sufficient thanks...

Mark,
I did take your question the wrong way, and as much of the discussion and data in this forum has come from the use of Merlin's model I did take:
has the model that occupies most of this section been used by anyone, for anything ?

as being a put down of the effort that Merlin and I (and many others) put into this forum.

I have deleted my curmudgeon comments, and apologize for my response to what you may have intended as a well intentioned question.

Gordy
"Flyfishing: 200 years of tradition unencumbered by progress." Ralph Cutter
Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Gordy

I have no doubt whatsoever that this model has occupied a very great deal of time and effort on the part of both yourself and Merlin.

My question was a perfectly bona fide personal enquiry about its utility from a predictive point of view, if I can use this model then how do I do so ?. If it's mainly of interest to rod designers that's absolutely fine, I'm not a rod designer and so I can let it pass me by.

However, I am a rod user and, whilst it may not be immediately apparent, I am very interested in what really goes on in casting, so, if there is more to it than this, for it to have utility beyond rod design, there may be some need to describe, in non technical terms, exactly what it is that this model is actually predicting.

For example, if it is going to tell me that, as a caster, I have to modify my forcing inputs to fit the material characteristics of the rod then that is completely fine too. For it to be of any practical use to me though, it would have to tell me something new about how I go about doing that.

If that's not what it is for, or its not going to output anything meaningful in that respect, that's totally cool by me...I was just wondering if someone would tell me one way or the other...thats all.

Apology accepted...

Mark
Casting Definitions