PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Spring Effect on Timing - effects of the spring on time constant

Hal Jordan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Hal Jordan »

Andrew,

Are you referring to this thread (ignore the ramblings by the idiot guest in the thread - although thanks to him Grunde did create his excellent model :p ) or were you looking for the matlab code?
ennio
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ennio »

Thanks Walter: heavens not Matlab. I'm not much of a poet, and can just about change a fuse.
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Andrew

It's a great read. Every time I go through it, I pick up something else to think about. There is the makings of a practical demo in there somewhere, I have been thinking about it for a while but my shed time is being taken up with building an electric box. It might be one to throw at Mike, he must have idle hands after his latest rod build.

regards

Vince
ennio
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ennio »

:D
Merlin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Merlin »

Additionally, a very slow action rod would not maintain the line tension unless the butt was translated very quickly.

Vince,

See the "load ratio" in Lincast model, it shows you the evolution of the tension on the line by comparison to the "rigid rod" case. Up to some point (tackle speed in Hz), it is less than 2 and then stabilizes at 2. So a slower tackle may put less tension in the line depending on the input and on the tackle speed, but not to the point to see the line falling on the ground. That needs a very slow motion to happen.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they wont´play if they're maltreated.
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Thanks Merlin

I do not have a lot of spare time at the moment so have put off the deeper stuff. I understand what you are telling me but in the real world, my line does hit the ground on a longer carry with a slow rod. Perhaps that will change with an improvement in technique but there are times when I run out of arm and feel that I have to run to keep the cast alive.

regards

Vince