PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

The most common stupid question when your practice

savage
Flygod 2011

Post by savage »

Marc, me personally, not upset as such, maybe a little annoyed. But most definately amused by the intelligence of most of the people asking.
We be of one blood you and I.
Landén
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Landén »

"-Catch anyting..?"

- Hysssshhh, quiet please...I´m trying to catch the small bird..he was just going to take my dry fly...stay and watch when I hook him!
RexW
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by RexW »

I like some of your replys. I may have to use a couple of them...

Here's another one for the list:

"Catching anything"

"Nope, it is a little slow today, but you should have been here yesterday."

Rex
Morsie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Morsie »

"Three so far" usually works too.

It reminds me of the old saying that goes something along the lines of - "Sometimes its just best to not say anything". There's probably a whole bunch of occupations and sports where a similarly repetitive line gets trotted out. Imagine being a gyneacologist "what a c*^#@ of a job" or a proctologist "that's a bummer" ............ etc etc etc.

People thinking they're being really funny and original is what makes the repetition of the question a little tedious, and sometimes it's good to point that out to them, next time they might come back with a highly original line, or a gun......... :D

Morsie
That was the river - this is the sea........
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

i find it a lot more constructive to take the time to explain that i'm practicing to get better at it and that it's fun, also making the analogy that any sportsman practices to get better at whatever it is that they do.

if they don't look too stupid or drunk i'll hand them the rod and offer them the chance to try it out on their own.

i'm sure that 90% of them will never ask the stupid questions again.

throwing back equally stupid comments can only increase the misunderstanding of their (ignorant: because they don't know) point of view and ours.

if you step back and think about it a second, it is at first indeed strange or even surreal to see someone waving a fishing rod on land.
what's kind of interesting, is why they would comment on it in the first place.
surely these comments aren't reserved for fly casters but i wonder if it isn't, even on a subconscious level, a way for them to make contact with someone who's doing something they've never seen before.

cheers,
marc
Morsie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Morsie »

I've had about 7 people stop today with only one "Are they biting"? comment which was a car load of giggly girls who thought it was hilarious. One woman stopped and wanted to check all the gear out. Two said, "Nice casting", one just asked directions to somewhere. I agree with you Marc but I think its pretty clear that someone standing in the middle of the road or in the park tossing a line back and forth isn't fishing. After 35 years any humour in the irony has completely worn away...........

Morsie
That was the river - this is the sea........
lonk
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by lonk »

Morsie wrote:Lonk I know that guy, I've been on his bus a couple of times! Man can he talk. Its all you want when you've just caught the red eye special from Perth.....

Morsie, you said something earlier about a glock??? I could tell you some interesting stories about that dude.

What's even better Jetstar starts SYD to PER on the 2nd Oct. Red eye leaves PER 0000 arrives SYD 0725 and i'll do my best to make sure you get that bloody bus driver
I couldv'e been your Father, but the dog beat me over the fence.
Landén
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Landén »

Best answer..?

"-Catch anyting"?

- Hey you..I got a Glock in my pocket.. :whistling:
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

or drunk

I quite like the drunk ones. I practice on a cricket pitch at the bottom of my garden, they often have social events in the club house. I have had several drunks stagger over to me over the years, 'I have to ask mate, what the fuck are you doing?' 'Practicing fly casting mate, want a go?'. 'Oh yeah, why not'. His friends all stand and watch and ten minutes later he staggers back, to loud applause, telling everyone what a top bloke I am.

I did have a kid ask me what I was doing, practing fly fishing I said. He looks a bit bemused and then asks me if I have caught any yet. Caught what I ask. Flies, he replies. No, not yet but I did just miss a huge bluebottle, I tell him and he walks of shaking his head.

Mike
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Marc LaMouche wrote:i find it a lot more constructive to take the time to explain that i'm practicing to get better at it and that it's fun, also making the analogy that any sportsman practices to get better at whatever it is that they do.
Totally agree, but what do you say when you got a team of footballers running by on the field, warming up, giving you the smartass remark " the water is that way..." Pointing in the opposite direction of where we where casting?

A friend of mine shouted right back: "yeah but the girls ran that way...." Pointing in the opposite direction of where they where running to :whistling:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....