PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

An interesting experience - WTF

jacktrout
IB3 Member Level 1

An interesting experience - WTF

Post by jacktrout »

Hi all

Not long a go I biked to a stream after school to see if it held trout and on my way up I encountered an elderly couple who were sitting across the stream in their backyard.

There was a fish just past them and as I walked up they greeted me with a "what the fuck are you doing?" I quickly replied explaining I was flyfishing, i have a licence, I catch and release and I'm standing on public land. This was continued by a lengthy onsluaght of abuse coming from the couple. Anyway after that, I decided it was time to head back to my bike. I had only gone 50 or so metres downstream when I noticed the old guy was following me downstream and started telling me to fuck off whenever I stopped.

Just curious if any of you guy have ever encountered anyone that is so much against flyfishing that they are willing to do things like that! :???:

Jack
donnquay
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by donnquay »

Nah Jack, just you I think! People tend to be really friendly towards me when they see me, maybe you just have the look of a trouble maker! :whistling:
"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in
our air and water that are doing it. "
- George W. Bush

Otapiri Falls custom built flyrods
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

hey Jack,

what springs to mind is they've most probably had problems of some sort with fishermen in the past and they took it out on you.
sounds like you were in your full rights in being there but apparently they didn't think so.
fwiw, i think you did the right thing by leaving. who wants to fish with that kind of negative attitude in the air ?

who knows, they might have been working themselves up for some stream-side sex :sick: and you broke the 'mood' by passing by. :cool:

:D ,
marc
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

This is where a camcorder comes in handy, you can try interviewing them. I got a massive onslaught of abuse when I tried to have a pee in a private toilet in a yacht harbor. Like I'm supposed to know the toilets are private. So I peed over the wall beside the building.
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Kakahi
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Kakahi »

Go back...."What? Are you old fucks still alive?"
If you can't fish in heaven, I don't wanna go!

Secret Creek photos
WetWading
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by WetWading »

I've been chased away at gunpoint more than once while within my rights. I've found most people with issues just don't understand the laws. If you take a moment to talk to them sometimes they'll mellow out and let you fish there in the end. I've also taken to carrying a copy of the state law with me in a watertight bag, which I give to the landowner upon contact.

Chase
"You cannot step into the same river twice. In the flow of time, an opportunity lost is lost forever."
-Heraclitus

BetterLoops.com
Harps
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Harps »

Paul Arden wrote:This is where a camcorder comes in handy, you can try interviewing them. I got a massive onslaught of abuse when I tried to have a pee in a private toilet in a yacht harbor. Like I'm supposed to know the toilets are private. So I peed over the wall beside the building.
Paul, you had a camcorder handy while you were using the private toilet? I'd kick you out too... No home videos please.

I've had people yell at me, and run up and down the stream throwing rocks. A situation like that can escalate to something dangerous... being in the right won't stop bullets. If you don't have a rifle slung over your shoulder all you can do is leave.

Jack, You did the right thing by moving on.
Next time make the first move to talk to them, even if it means putting down a fish or to. Wave, take your sunglasses off, and ask how they are doing. Being nice first will often put somebody off there game if they are looking for an argument.
"Hippies smell better Naked."
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Erm, no I didn't use it in this case Paul. The guy was carrying a long stick with a hook at the end. I did thank him and wish him a great day and said I hoped his life got better. People are not all like us; some people are miserable fuckers. Fancy going through life and ending up a miserable barstard! The best approach is to pity them.
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Mike Rubino
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mike Rubino »

Ironically I more than likely get greeted quite nicely and am usually asked "What are you fishing for ?". I sometimes make up an unusual fish to be fishing for off the beach here in NJ but most of the times Im nice..I guess people sort of equate fishermen with beach landscape so we are not told to bug off.
If its moving, if you see a swirl, break,bait pop, a slick, cast ! We only get so many chances no matter what we do.Take them when you can.
scottrods
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by scottrods »

report them to F&G or a cop.
Chris Dore
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris Dore »

Report the incident to fish and game. They will tell you if you were on public land, and wether they are aware of any previous problems with the landowner. If you feel threatened at any time in incidents such as this, report it to the police.

Of course you can always kick their ass...
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
grhen
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by grhen »

A few years back the animal rights people here in the US decided that harassment of fishermen would be a great tactic to use in their war for the hearts and minds of the masses. They told their members that in order to further their goal of world domination that, should they find some sportsman fishing, a good way to stop that person would be to throw rocks into the water that was being fished.

This happened a few times here and there until they started being arrested. It turns out that almost all of the states have laws about interfering with a sportsman s legal enjoyment of his sport. :cool:
tp://CastFlys.Com]CastFlys.Com[/URL]
donnquay
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by donnquay »

You know where they live now do the flamming bag of dog shit thing :D
You may find that you were treated a little different because you are young, I have always had a bit of trouble getting respect at work due to the fact I look alot younger than I am, have the right attitude and assert yourself and most will back down!
I am still very young though, not old and bitter like Dore :laugh:
"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in
our air and water that are doing it. "
- George W. Bush

Otapiri Falls custom built flyrods
upstream
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by upstream »

Jack, I suggest you report this to Fish and Game. There is a chance that you were on private land in which case the owners are entitled to ask you to leave. The Queens Chain in NZ is not as all-encompassing as once thought. Fish and Game will find out the facts for you. If you are legally entitled to be there then Fish and Game should approach the landowner to clarify things for them.

As to their attitude, well some people will just be a-holes and not much you can do about that. I recently had an unpleasant experience when approached by a farmer saying that I was trespassing. Turns out I was trespassing because I didn't see the boundary fence for the new property. The farmer was a complete prick about it, even after it was obvious that I had made an innocent mistake and I had apologised for it. That sort of encounter does kinda ruin your day, but at least I can sleep easily at night knowing that I treat others with respect and am not a complete a-hole.
Chris Dore
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris Dore »

donnquay wrote:I am still very young though, not old and bitter like Dore :laugh:
You're lucky I respect my elders Donnelly, otherwise I may just tell you to suck a ball :whistling:
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com