PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Working hours - New PB

Biology
IB3 Member Level 1

Working hours - New PB

Post by Biology »

I've been working an average 55-60hr week for the last eleven years. Last week hit a new PB of 76 starting 03:45 on Monday and returned home 22:10 on the Friday. It's not hard labour or man-ual shit but still a bit heavy... Any other hardcore wage slaves burning the midnight oil?

Roll on the Christmas break and two weeks recovery before it all kicks off again on 03-01-12

Andy
"There are no passengers on spaceship Earth - We are all crew." - Marshall McLuhan

Small Fly Funk
jomeder
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by jomeder »

Hi Andy,

When I was boatbuilding I did some 70-80 hour weeks. This was motivated both by overtime rates (yay!) and wanting to make a dent in the hours needed to get my trade certificate. That was some pretty hard manual work. We found productivity went through the floor when you're working that long so we stopped it.

I got sick while I was boatbuilding but eventually got well enough I was able to get involved in the job I have now, which is software development. For a long time I worked 7 days a week. I used to start work at about 11 AM and finish at 3 AM (breaks for lunch and dinner). I didn't have much of anything else to do, or could do due to my health. I could type and do mental stuff but physical stuff tired me out too quickly. However about 5 years ago I started flyfishing and it wasn't too long after that I decided I was going to start to have weekends so I could fish :-). I was surprised to find it made a big difference. Previously I would need to listen to music to disengage my brain and help me get to sleep. Since I started taking weekends I only rarely need to do that.

Having done both manual work and mental work I can say that both can be just as exhausting in their own ways, especially if the mental work involves concentration and creativity.

Of course for the last 18 months or so I've been working all week and then working on my house all weekend, for as long as I can manage. I've only had a few of days off and probably been fishing about 6 times in the whole period. I think we're due a bit of a break again!

I'm taking 4 weeks holiday over Christmas/New Years, but it will be spent building. Actually I only manage that for about 3 days on the trot, so I will probably throw in some work along the way. That's the pitfall of working with people overseas who don't have the same holidays.

Definitely looking forward to having a few lazy days around Christmas though. Most of the relatives have other plans so we might be able to get away with not going anywhere, which always makes for a nice relaxing Christmas. I hope you have a good break and get the batteries recharged. I also hope you manage to cut back on the hours a bit if you can :-). You might be surprised at how much better you feel for it.

Regards,

Jo
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

No, I'm trying to avoid this.
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
blackwater
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by blackwater »

I worked a job a few years ago on a tunnel boring machine for a pipe jacking crew. Working down a hole always being wet and muddy and the job couldn't stop no matter what the weather. The week was 84 hours on a rotating shift(7x 12 hour days and 7x 12 hour nights) and the travel was an hour each way.

Never again.
andy_with_a_rod
BBBB Nr 4!

Post by andy_with_a_rod »

for the brief spell i lived in london i was doing 60-70 hour weeks behind a bar just to be able to afford my rent.
The work itself was a doddle but the irregular hours meant I could nevee sleep properly and really affected my health. And even with all those hours at work I still had a £100 deficit every month.

I swore never to do bar work again. So here i am, its nearly 2am, i cant sleep.
Andy Buckley, barman.
Urgh.
"God's always with me;
standing beside me with his big black dick."

Paul Arden.
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

I wouldn't mind having another couple of 80 hour weeks, like I had in 2007 and 2008. With the depression hitting my trade (corporate journalism and magazine making) hard, I have had weeks with absolutely nothing to do in the past two years. Being self employed these weeks were actually more stressful than the weeks in which I had to meet three or four different magazine deadlines.
The past couple of months my workload allowed me again to turn out some proper working weeks of 50+ hours. How many exactly, I can't say. Some days I find myself busy with biking or fishing related stuff in the daytime and working on articles or editing in the evenings. It is hard to tell.
Dylan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Dylan »

Paul Arden wrote:No, I'm trying to avoid this.

My sentiments exactly. I worked for Ford for a little over ten years doing 90-95 hours every two weeks, plus the two hours a day driving time. Money was great but hell I was never home.
IBM
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by IBM »

When I qualified as a junior doctor in 1991 I was contracted to work 83 hrs per week average. I was paid basic rate for the first 40 hrs and the other 43 were paid at one third rate. That's one third of basic, not basic plus one third. My longest continuous shift in the hospital was from thursday morning until monday evening, 104 hours straight.
A lot better these days - it's the three kids that make life tough now!
Daniel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Daniel »

The government Feed In Tariff cut for solar panels has made my last 2 weeks crazy (for me anyway!). Well over 60 hours last week and easily over 50 so far this week.

Still Christmas is coming and the £££ will be welcome :cool:
Biology
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Biology »

Wow, seems like I have it pretty easy... I'll quit the moaning and get back to it :oh:
"There are no passengers on spaceship Earth - We are all crew." - Marshall McLuhan

Small Fly Funk
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

No, I'm trying to avoid this.

I thought the Australians calculated you worked 168 a week.

Mike
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/
P-A
BBBB Nr 1 El P!!!

Post by P-A »

Worst work load i have had was 93 day straight for at least 11-12 hours a day. Karolinska Insitute is one of those hard workplace and science research i so fun that you hardly notice it before you burn out... I dont do that stuff anymore and i am freakin glad about that.
Portfolio
[url=http://www.per-anders_nilsson.fotosidan.se/]http://www.per-anders_nilsson.fotosidan.se/[/url]
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

It's work Mike, but not as we know it.
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
VoodooChild
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VoodooChild »

During the summer it’s not uncommon to work 90 plus hours. Farming is still real work, no matter what people may say. My record was two weeks in a row over 110 hrs., it was absolute misery, mercifully we don’t grow that crop anymore. I was told that grain and vegetable farming is a part time job, part of the time you can go home and sleep, there is a lot of truth in that. The trade off is that this time of year I get to work in the office, make maps, write environmental regulation compliance letters and think about fly casting all day.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Gilgamesh
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Gilgamesh »

For a few years now my job has been the worst part of my life, my single biggest problem.
I can't earn enough as a technician, so I'm in this junior level of management that entails thinking for other people and generally eating shit from everybody, the client not getting joy, the underpaid technician that doesn't give a shit anyway.
There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded of men be plunged in his deepest reveries - stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region.