PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Protein shakes

White Hunter
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by White Hunter »

Hi Paul

Hows have your recoverys been panning out without the supplement mate..? Does it not take longer..??

Cheers
Lee
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hard to say, because I've really been turning up the training. Increased heart rate, increased distances, more of everything really.
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
White Hunter
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by White Hunter »

So with a bit of luck you will be 8 stone next time we meet.. ;)

Nah, awesome effort mate! Good crack init?? :)

Cheers
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep certainly is! Interesting combination; Ironman in July, flycasting world championships in August! Dunno about 8 stone :p I always seem to come in around 96kg nowadays... or more :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
Mike Rubino
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mike Rubino »

Paul Arden wrote:Yep certainly is! Interesting combination; Ironman in July, flycasting world championships in August! Dunno about 8 stone :p I always seem to come in around 96kg nowadays... or more :cool:
Fantastic ! Go get champ !

For healthy protein supplement try ground raw seeds such as sunflower, flax and hemp along in a fruit and green smoothie and throw in a healthy dose of pignoli nuts daily with your meals as in cereals or mixed with salads.

Im in agreement to stay away from dairy milk in particular.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress,

Mike
If its moving, if you see a swirl, break,bait pop, a slick, cast ! We only get so many chances no matter what we do.Take them when you can.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

That sounds fantastic! I ate some fish yesterday, for the first time in ages. Hell of a good run this morning. It may help that it's significantly warmer today; I've never been very fast in the cold.

I'm very lucky BTW, one of Board members, George, used to coach the Australian Ironmen. As soon as I've got hold of another bike I'll embark on his training program! If only I could figure out how to run a really good marathon on the back of these I reckon I'd do alright. The baked bean toasties could be the answer!

The trick I think is not to get ironman fit; it's to stay ironman fit.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Creatine? Christ!!!

Flycasting Definitions
Cast1
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Cast1 »

Paul

Training for any endurance event requires ONE DAYS REST each week. Usually fridays as saturday can be the long run ( 90 min to 2hrs 30min at HR 66% to 85% of heart rate max) and sunday can be the long ride (2hrs to 6hrs at bike heart 66% to 85%.

From my experience the most effective recovery suppliment is Endura Re Hydration Formula which contains essential nutrients to recover stressed muscle.

I think every man over the age of 35yrs should be on this formula for every day health benefit, including fishing as we de hydrate just the same doing this as we do with any exercise.

Note: With your IM training, how much training in the higher HR levels are you doing as at this point 90% of it must be aerobic ( 66% to 85% of HR max.)

Check out www.unlimitedtraining.com.au
Cast1
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Cast1 »

Opps

Son Jai's web site ask any questions about protein and other suups whilst in training here

http://www.unlimitedpersonaltraining.com.au/

George
White Hunter
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by White Hunter »

Paul Arden wrote:Creatine? Christ!!!
:D

Is it looking like its starting to get expensive mate..?
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks George, I'm running around 85% for just over a hour/day at the moment six days/week. Will put a long run in later in the week. Spinning for half hour (no bike here at the moment) - takes longer to get the heart rate up, but I am pushing that into the 90s. And then I'm doing about half hour lifting weights. Followed by a sauna :). Six days/week.

I'm not 100% sure about the heart rates however because I'm using the built-in approximation, and actually have to key in the exact numbers after working them out! I think they may be on the high side because I often find myself running at 85-90. However the highest I've been on the bike is 93 and I was pretty flat out.

What is the drill to find HRmax?

Thanks, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Flycasting Definitions
Snake Pliskin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Snake Pliskin »

Finding the working heart rate is the key. The working heart rate will be different for biking than for running. The test is not much fun. Unless you like this sort of thing of course! In my distance days this guy helped me a lot.

Here are two good articles outlining the method.

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblo....ng.html
http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblo....es.html

I can sling you one of his books next time I see you if you want.
For a completely different way of doing things. This method of training worked for me too, and in about a quarter of the time per week. It is a killer. No HR monitor needed here. If I were to do it again, it would be this kind of approach.
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

Get micro filtered whey protein.

Generally the cheaper ones are full of filler and will leave you farting like an old dog.

See what the Glutamine content is as well.

Maximuscle products are usually good, but pricey.

If your events Paul are mainly endurance, you would be better with a staged release carb drink with amino acids and electrolytes, as opposed to pure protein.

If you're 96kg, it won't be long until your knees are donald ducked. That's a lot of weight impacting on them.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

To be honest I have a lot of running under my belt, from rugby training to 160k/week. Ten years ago I was training 2:40 marathons (best). 10K was 36-38min on the back of a tri. Running is my strong point - but my weakness on an Ironman. I think it has more to do with not eating properly during the race more than the upper strength I've built up over the years for flycasting. I seem to have a heavy frame size. Even being a skinny runner I was pushing 13 stone.

I'm enjoying the stronger upper body strength; it's nothing like yours Ryan :p and I'm sure I'd be a much better half-Ironman but there's something about it that has always appealed to me. And as a discipline, going forward, it has to be good.

I'd love to run a really competitive marathon on top of one of these. What I have found recently is that these protein products have made a huge difference to my output. Maybe it's because I eat no meat and very little fish?! It's hard to say, but creatine is like speed that kicks me to a new level. Anyway I don't feel like I'm endurance training at the moment, just getting really fit! Endurance is next, but I've always felt that is mental.

It's been a big lifestyle shift for me going from training once/day to twice. I think that's made the biggest difference of all!

I'm interested to know what you do training-wise.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions