PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Bourbon - good stuff to try

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I'm about 75% through this list and 100% through the list of fine Hungarian beverages (both of them!)

You're not so lucky, Walter! There are many types of Palinka; grape, plum, pear, apple, walnut, seal fur, chilli. In fact just about any soft fruit will be turned into palinka and then possibly infused with something or other. They all smell and taste of anti-freeze of course, but after a while you can tell which type of anti-freeze you've been given to taste.

The nice thing about Palinka is that the rocket fuel stuff is free. Although it's not something to savour with a fine cigar (you may blow up).

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
pyko
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by pyko »

Used to have the Scotch Malt Whisky Society as clients, their Cask Strength malts averaged 62%, had to add a splash of water, (to release the 'nose' AND not fall down).

The Caol Ila was (& is) still one of my favourites. Light and smokey, not too much of the phenolic-medicine either.

Incidentally, regards the home-made stuff, this is delicious & easy. Amazing thing is the flower heads have they're own yeast, so naturally bubbly, (& potent).
You can observe a lot just by watching.
Yogi Berra
Biology
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Biology »

Paul Arden wrote:There are many types of Palinka; grape, plum, pear, apple, walnut, seal fur, chilli. In fact just about any soft fruit will be turned into palinka and then possibly infused with something or other.

Is there a Czech drink similar to palinka, maybe called silve, or slive? Have finished a few evening with this, maybe 70% proof and you can just about taste the fruit. Was also offered Czech Absinth last week, the bottle read 'for experts only' so I declined....
"There are no passengers on spaceship Earth - We are all crew." - Marshall McLuhan

Small Fly Funk
Hal Jordan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Hal Jordan »

There are many types of Palinka; grape, plum, pear, apple, walnut, seal fur, chilli.

I hope the guys who love to club those little baby seals don't find out. It could lead to another round of near extinction for the little buggers followed by a glut in the world palinka supply. At least it could be used as an alternate fuel source. ;)
Hal Jordan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Hal Jordan »

this is delicious & easy.

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't know Andy, Szilva is Hungarian for Plum, which is a very common Palinka fruit. If it tastes like paint stripper then it's probably the same stuff.

Flycasting Definitions
savage
Flygod 2011

Post by savage »

Slivovice, slivka.
Simply a plum palinka. And you can have good slivovice.
Palenka in Czech basicaly means palinka in Hungarian.
The palenka is usualy named by what it's made from.
Hruskovice - pears
Merunkovice - apricots
Tresnovice - cherries
And so on and so fourth.

The Absinthe sold here is bullshit, it's only a high alchohol percentage juice with a tiny fraction of the thujone compound allowed for by the European union in beverages. Our speciality is that were allowed to market and sell something called absinthe.

As far as Slivovice - most of the commercial stuff is sorta drinkable, but it's a far cry from the really good stuff. A source of good stuff is generaly a closely guarded secret, and people are very jealous of it.

The rubbish stuff however, Paul's paint stripper, is given to residents of Prague and to tourists to drink. The Slivovice region inhabitants have little love for the natives of the capital city.

Cheers
Karel
We be of one blood you and I.
Biology
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Biology »

savage wrote:The Absinthe sold here is bullshit, it's only a high alchohol percentage juice with a tiny fraction of the thujone compound allowed for by the European union in beverages.
Interesting stuff Karel - the tipple I was offered contained 10% thrujone.... is that enough to induce madness?
"There are no passengers on spaceship Earth - We are all crew." - Marshall McLuhan

Small Fly Funk
savage
Flygod 2011

Post by savage »

10%!
Summat tells me there something fishy here....
The thujone content is generaly very weak trace amounts.

Although I just checked wiki and it says all my prior Absinthe knowledge should go out the window, or someone is bullshitting us.

Cheers
Karel
Biology
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Biology »

savage wrote:10%!
yeah man! as I say, it read "for experts only" and it goes for £130 a bottle....

http://www.originalabsinthe.com/absinthe-absinthe-king-gold-p-56.html

Small Fly Funk
savage
Flygod 2011

Post by savage »

100mg/kg, what the fuck is that? That a content rating in a liquid.....
Oops we mispelt that, thats micro were talking about...

In the one sentence its thujone, in the next its wormwood.

I dunno, I'm scepticle about it.

Cheers
Karel
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Foremost of the stimulants is thujone, the psychoactive chemical at the heart of the herb wormwood, which, along with anisette, gives absinthe its bitter, black liquorish taste. While once thought to instigate simular reactions as marijuana's THC, recent research suggests it modulates the neurotransmitter GABAA, which plays a vital role in cognitive thought. Subsequently, absinthe provides a level of clarity not usually associated with alcoholic drinks.

At $200 a bottle I'd expect it to come with an all-singing all-dancing sheepgirl :p

Flycasting Definitions