PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Mulch - Manshit or gardeners question time?

Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Paul, given the sound advice above it seems you're best off by first putting sand, then mulch and conclude with undies as a pheromonic/root-flavoring topper.
let us know how this goes. :D
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Just heard from Bali, who's a wine producer and flyfisher in Hungary! Apparently I only need cover them in top soil. Another day of mud making awaits me :cool:

Have marked the whole thing out for the trellis. It's going to look fucking cool. But today while sliding down the hill I realised I need build steps damn it. Still the river is flooded so its just about bearable. I suspect the trellis is going to take the best part of a week. To be honest it's kind of fun. I love being covered in mud. Must be a primitive Manshit thing.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Hal Jordan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Hal Jordan »

Well if covering them with a mixture of organics is a good thing why not just slip a sock over each one? Kind of like grape condoms. :laugh:
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

Mulch. Always remember this sketch. :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKjYLQp60Xg
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Ha ha. Yes there are several dead bodies in my garden. The neighbour with the mole alarm, Frank, various FFF administrators and numerous small mice that my cat donates. It's more a graveyard than a vineyard to be honest. :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

Mulch is used for a few reasons, to retain moisture in the ground, to protect from frost, weed suppression, to add orgainic material to the soil. I'm not sure you want to add organic material to the soil with grapes, you might end up with a lot of leaf and not much fruit. You need to check that out.

Wood chippings are pretty neutral, will suppress weeds and retain moisture in the ground and give you good frost protection. You have loads of trees you can shred, so a cheap option , although, fresh chippings may 'burn' the vines. Need to check that out as well.

Sand will change the soil structure in such a large area. It might be ok for the odd vine in a garden but I'd think twice about using it. F'kin heavy too.

Mike
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/
Gilgamesh
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Gilgamesh »

There we go......good answer from Mike :cool:

Read up or watch videos for PermaCulture and Food Forests, most relevant and facinating concepts I've heard about in a long time.
Robert Hart in the UK......and there's a Permaculture institute somewhere in Oz....
There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded of men be plunged in his deepest reveries - stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Mike. I've gone with the molehill option since that was what came recommended by Bali. PoD up shortly!

Flycasting Definitions
Glenda
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Glenda »

so much for mulch.... what about insect protection?

do you have plant a rose bush at the end of each row of vines in Hungary as well? they do this in Aust but i think only because a rose bush will let you know if any disease is around.....

sorry for changing the subject... :)
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I've never seen this in Hungary, Glenda, although I have seen it in NZ. Roses grow well on the hill :cool:

Flycasting Definitions