PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Over lining fast rods?

JimC
IB3 Member Level 1

Over lining fast rods?

Post by JimC »

I know that it is a common practice to over line the fast action rods that are now in vogue. The unstated purpose is to slow the rod and make casting easier. Fast action rods are more critical of timing than slower rods and many anglers do not have the timing skills required to take full advantage the faster rods. Over-lining negates some of the advantages of fast action rods.

Over-lining is also advocated as a means to fight the wind, with the thought being that the heavier line will "punch" through the wind better than will a lighter line. Let me come back to this in a minute.

Yesterday I was checking out a new SA GPX textured WF-6-F fly line. Out of curiosity I decided to test it on six different rods, three 5 weights, and one each 6, 7, and 8 weight, all fast rods. The GPX line is advertised as being a half weight heavy, or actually a 6.5 weight. The performance was as expected with the 5 and 6 weight rods, but with the 7weight I perceived a significant increase in line speed and ease in making tight loops. The 8 weight gave similar results to the 7 weight, but I noticed considerably more effort was required on my part, especially as distances increased beyond 50 feet.

Now back to wind issue, and a question for this great board. Which is more advantageous for combating the wind - high line speed and tight loops or a heavy line with slower speed and perhaps slightly wider loops? (Granted a good caster should be able to produce narrow loops with an over lined rod.) Also what is the board's opinion on the value of over lining today's fast rods and what is lost by doing so?
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Jim! We're over here now http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Great topic by the way!! :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions