PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Cast & Release

Tom
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Tom »

Great Gordy.
Thanks a lot for those instructive videos. :)

Tom.
Tom
Rasmus
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Rasmus »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:1: I wrote quite early in this thread that I think releasing about when the line has the biggest velocity in one direction would be the best, and I still think so.

2: Btw, using Jim's contraption has hammered it in that we cannot see when the line is released since the fingers only have to come 0.035" or whatever thickness the line we're holding, appart for that to happen. And given the resolution of our camera's I can't see how any of us really can tell when the line is free to move.

Cheers
Lasse

Hey Lasso

1: I think you are right, thanks ! :cool:

2: That's why i wrote very early in this thread that video (with my equipment) wouldn't show a thing... It would just be more confusing, because it would probably just look like a normal good cast...

Another thing: It is even more difficult to see the detalis when hauling. With a slow doublehander everything can be done slower and without a haul i think it is more easy to see what actually happens.
To release early i need to have the rod lower (almost horizontal) in the backcast/ V-loop to load the rod enough to get the maximum linespeed earlier than usual.
Part of the timing/technique problem

Lasso:
Jim's contact equipment is very useful and i hope we can find a good day for trying it out, i tried to call you a few times the last days, but no reply...
Rasmus
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Rasmus »

Fishing/casting again at a Norwegian salmon/seatrout river... !!!

With an old slow "switch rod" i build 20 years ago... woks fine with "Cast and Release"...!
Rasmus
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Rasmus »

Broke the old rod when landing a 5 kilo salmon in difficult conditions in a small spate river, borrowed a new faster rod, and it works fine with "Cast & Release"... The guy i borrowed it from is also using the same technique, his two friends make a stop, but they think he has a better cast ;)

(4 salmon in 2 days relaxed fishing, and some nice cast and release too, life is good... he,he... :cool: )
Rasmus
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Rasmus »

If flyfishing is a large part of your life, life gets better and easier with "Cast & Release"... :cool:

Release insteadt of a stop when shooting line... makes your life better... he,he :cool: