PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

SL abbreviations

grhen
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by grhen »

Hey guys,

I've got a question again, what does "Minimum Chord Length" exatly means.

Cheers Holger

When the distance between the rod tip is closest to the rod butt during the casting stroke. There's some good use of it in Grunde's videos!

The use of this keeps bothering me. It was explained to me by Dr. Sadik Phd in Montana a few years ago. According to him, it is used as a "convenience" by engineers to measure something that would otherwise be unmeasurable due differences in rod actions. It is supposedly measuring the point where the rod is most fully bent. It has been presented here that this means the greatest angle between the butt and tip.

My issues with this revolve around:
1. The fact that the angle can be influenced by the amount of line and the angle the line extends from the tip. These can cause longer or shorter chord lengths, so how can this be a reliable measurement?
2. It ignores the potential load in the rod. For instance, when striking a line along the hand path, the rod is bent furthest down the blank as the rod passes a line perpendicular to the hand path. It seems to me there is much more potential in the lever and the energizing system (the caster) at that perpendicular point than at a point where the rod is 45 to 55 degrees forward of perpendicular.

In the case of MCL the bend in the rod has traveled considerably up the blank as the rod is unloading. The greatest angle of bend is occurring usually in only the top half or so of the rod. The amount of potential at this point can't be as great as at the point where the rod is bent furthest down the blank. So just because it is most fully bent in an angle ignores the amount of potential within the system.

Whats with that? :???: In simpleton English please.
tp://CastFlys.Com]CastFlys.Com[/URL]
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

definition:

Chord
-Mathematics- 'A straight line joining the ends of an arc'

pretty simple, no ? :)
flyfisher666
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by flyfisher666 »

I interpret MRF as when the rod has the most PE. But I have problem...
As I'm quite sure that it doesn't coincide with MCL, when distance casting at least, I'm wondering if anyone have an idea of how to find MRF when analyzing a video?

//Joakim
Tips when flyfishing:
1. Poop at home.
2. During a feeding frenzy, don't eat!