PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Timing the release

trevor1965
IB3 Member Level 1

Timing the release

Post by trevor1965 »

Hi

I've been thinking about the timing of the release when shooting on the forward cast. When do you do that? The instant you stop with the casting hand or a moment later when the tip straightens? Or some other time?

Sorry if this has been discussed before ... I've searched but can't find.

Cheers
Trev
crunch
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by crunch »

This thread has a lot of release timing:

http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/cgi-bin....t=12577
trevor1965
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by trevor1965 »

Thanks, Crunch. I started reading thid thread but couldn't at first see it was helping. But by page 9 .....
Cheers
Trev
wjc
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by wjc »

After you've finished page 56, a masters thesis (with a clearly understandable synopsis) is required before further posting.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

In general the most efficient time to release the line is thought to be at or around rod straight position. There are of course differing opinions, one argument is pre-RSP and the other is MCF :p

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:In general the most efficient time to release the line is thought to be at or around rod straight position. There are of course differing opinions, one argument is pre-RSP and the other is MCF :p

Cheers, Paul
Depending on the situation, both works fine, MCF just requires more overhang ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Paul, Lasse,
what are you telling your students about WHEN to release the line in lessons for beginners and/or advanced casters?

I prefer to teach "stop (rod hand) and let go (open line hand at the same time)".

Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
trevor1965
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by trevor1965 »

Ah ... I was kind of thinking RSP but I get Lasse's point on the length of overhang and MCF which I hadn't thought of. Thanks for all the help on this.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I prefer to teach "stop (rod hand) and let go (open line hand at the same time)

That's too early for me, I teach stop and then release. The common fault I always see when you start someone shooting line is that they release too early and often within the Casting Stroke. Holding the line under the index finger of the rod hand facilitates learning the release timing. But I don't think it's a big problem, whichever method you use, because after four or five attempts at shooting line they have the right timing.

Throwing Lee's supercharged shooting head I can see Rasmus' argument a little better. With that gear I'm hauling through the first half of the Casting Stroke, instead of the second half, and releasing early.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Rasmus
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Rasmus »

Paul Arden wrote:
Throwing Lee's supercharged shooting head I can see Rasmus' argument a little better. With that gear I'm hauling through the first half of the Casting Stroke, instead of the second half, and releasing early.
Cheers, Paul

Thank you... !
(Releasing with no stop takes some serious timing compared to stopping and releasing)
;)

OT: (he,he this is nr. 666 :angry: )
:cool:
wjc
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by wjc »

I also haul and release sooner on the backcast when casting in the same direction as the previous cast. I think it is from a combination of less overhang on the pickup and the need for height on the backcast.

I also think I tend to shoot more line into the backcast than I need to (or should be shootihg).

Actually, I haven't been fishing or even thrown a fly in months now following a shoulder injury. I am supposed to be going on a camping trip tomorrow, assuming the forecast is correct and the wind drops, so I will see how well it has healed.

Cheers,
Jim