PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

CI, MCI exam - One line?

Djordje
IB3 Member Level 1

CI, MCI exam - One line?

Post by Djordje »

Why organisation insist - one line during exam?

I prefer when I teach someone maybe one line for accuracy, maybe other line for distance. Also I could show some cast on exam better with one line and other with second line. I think about accuracy and distance.

Also candidate should explain why use sme line in some situation. What is advantage and disadvantage.

Do you think it is OK rule?
Barrio Pro-Team
FFF MCI, THCI
shielfisher
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by shielfisher »

I guess it's good in an assessment to be able to explain why you might chose an alternative line for a different discipline (spey casts/distance etc).
But is part of the assessment of you as a CI/MCI about what you can do with your choice of line - be able to talk about it's good points/weak points and how you have to adapt to that line?
That way you have demonstrated understanding of different lines for different jobs by discussion and practically shown how you have to adapt with a rod and your choice of line in hand.
I think it's fair, demonstrates broader understanding.

H

In Verbo Tuo Laxabo Rete
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Djordje wrote:Do you think it is OK rule?

hi Djordje,
most definitely. :)
i really can't see why any candidate wouldn't be able to show nice, relaxed and pretty casting of all the tasks with just one line.
a good instructor should be able to pick up a student's rod (unfamiliar equipment) and teach them the cast just as well as if the equipment where their own.

a very important part of candidate preparation is finding by themselves what suits them best for all the tasks. this takes a lot of time, trying out different ways and most of all, thinking.

cheers,
marc
Djordje
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Djordje »

Hi Marc

I agree that "a good instructor should be able to pick up a student's rod (unfamiliar equipment) and teach them the cast just as well as if the equipment where their own. "

But I talking about your presenting of different cast. For the sample, If I want to do some demo, seminar, clinic and want to present the best view of cast I will choose specific line for this.

Like shielfisher said some line is very good for spey cast but other not, some long belly line is good solution for easy keep long line in the air, where audience could see all, slow, easiest and other, third are good to show presentation casts.

Sorry of my English but I hope - can understand
Barrio Pro-Team
FFF MCI, THCI
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

don't worry my friend, i understand you well :)

i have no problems with changing lines and other equipment for demos and such, it's just during examinations i believe it should be unchanged for the reasons i wrote above.

imagine this scenario: if the candidate gets to change line then why wouldn't they not be able to also change rod and leaders depending on the task ?
some of these people would show up with 12 or so rod/line configurations just do do 18 or so casts... :kungfo: :closedeyes: :D

if it where up to me i'd have all candidates use a DT :cool:

cheers,
marc
shielfisher
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by shielfisher »

Marc LaMouche wrote:if it where up to me i'd have all candidates use a DT :cool:

:sick: Oh no no no no no :p

In Verbo Tuo Laxabo Rete
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

imagine this scenario: if the candidate gets to change line then why wouldn't they not be able to also change rod and leaders depending on the task ?

I can't see anything wrong with that scenario Marc. Maybe not to the extent of changing leaders. In fact I think it would add to the test. Why did you choose that set up for these tasks etc etc. I would also like them to cast one or two of the tasks with an unfamiliar outfit.

Mike
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I'd have no objections to multiple lines being allowed. In fact I'd like to see the inclusion of shooting heads. I asked and voted for the inclusion of the option of separate lines for the AAPGAI Spey and O/h test portions. The single handed Spey portion requires both a floating line and a sink tip line.
a good instructor should be able to pick up a student's rod (unfamiliar equipment) and teach them the cast just as well as if the equipment where their own.

We examine for that at AAPGAI by providing a couple of balanced outfits that the candidate has pick up and teach.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
TrevH
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by TrevH »

I was given a 0- weight Sage outfit. Interesting experience after a couple of years with TCX 5s and 6s and quite a lesson in tailing loops :) So quite a contrast from what a candidate is likely to have prepared with.

I think multiple lines allow examiners to look at a wider range of skills and aspects of a candidates ability and understanding.
Djordje
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Djordje »

I full agree. Showing something like open or tailing loop I use #3 rod. I do all in more slow tempo. Do not have audience to watch I do not know, 12, 15 m in front and also in back, 7,8 m with #3 rod is enough.

Like also Paul said, I would see casting with Shooting line.
Barrio Pro-Team
FFF MCI, THCI
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

victor wrote:Why did you choose that set up for these tasks etc etc.
that's a question i've asked and rather insisted on with every person i've helped prep for the tests, Mike.
it's a vital aspect and one of the first things we need to check on and explain, specially with beginners.
i would expect that question to be a mandatory part of every test as well but it isn't, at least not with the FFF.

to be honest, afaic, there's both good and bad in this one rod/line/ leader set up and sure, it would make for a better test but i just don't see that happening when there's always talk of 'not enough time', 'under staffed (examiners) and whatever else...

We examine for that at AAPGAI by providing a couple of balanced outfits that the candidate has pick up and teach.
hi Paul, that just seems normal doesn't it ? that's what we do at just about every casting/fishing course or demo we do.

cheers,
marc
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Apart from Paul who says he changes his technique completly (but doesn't) could someone tell me the benefit of having to throw a shootinghead in a exam? And what kind of shootinghead are we talking about, 25 feet 30 feet 60 feet, mono or coated runninglines, 1 weight over rod or 3 weights, sinking or floater?

Cheers
Lasse, who thinks we should take the tests with 6 weight level lines without leaders and fail if it kicks....
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:could someone tell me the benefit of having to throw a shootinghead in a exam?
maybe as much benefit as having someone do saltwater casts when they never fish saltwater ?
Lasse, who thinks we should take the tests with 6 weight level lines without leaders and fail if it kicks....
agree ! :cool: :D
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Hi Djorde,
I personally do like to rig up a short heavy shooting head combined with a thin mono shooting line for teaching total beginners how to double haul. That simply speeds up my teaching success.

I would want a candidate to know about lots of differencies on all the different lines and when and where to use them best.

However in the exams I don't see much of an importance to change lines.
What exactly would be the benefit?
I don't see much need to cast a shooting head since that is just a fly line, too. It's only about a cut betwen the head and shooting line. As Lasse already pointed out there are many SHs available...

Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I'd be looking to find out everything the candidate teaches with regards fishing and casting a Shooting Head. It probably doesn't have much value for the FFF when there are so many other examination issues that need attention, but with AAPGAI I think it would be a worthy inclusion, for one thing simply having it there would have it researched to hell.

I know you don't adjust your casting stroke between a SH and any other line. You may be in a very small minority of people there!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions