PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Rio outband short - approach to cast it

Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Rio outband short - approach to cast it

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi All
Im not a big fun of shooting heads or this kind of lines. But today I have tried my new outfit with Rio outband short sink tip 8wt. I must say it was strange. First few casts it almost pulled my hand out. But then no falls cast, and slower 30ft + 9ft of runinig line in front of me, one back cast and then delivery 130ft easy.
my question is, when you fish and you strip your fly close to you, so the head(half of it) is already in the tip. How do you start your next cast to bring the fals casts to minimum?. I try to shoot little in bc but it goes so fast that I lose control. What would be the best approach?
Cheers
mike
www.betterflycast.com
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

....I should add, that I was casting only with short leader. As we know the purpose of outband is to turnover big flies.
Do you think if I put big, heavy and wind resistant fly, casting stroke and casting this thing in general wouldnt be so jerky?
Cheers
mike
www.betterflycast.com
andy_with_a_rod
BBBB Nr 4!

Post by andy_with_a_rod »

i've started using an outbound short inter tip recently for my pike fishing and in truth it took a few hours to figure out. i get right to the leader (as you do when fishing pike flies) and literally use the rod and fly like a lead weight - throwing the fly far enough to get some more line out. i then slip line into the initial pick up and begin casting from there. once i have the rear taper in my hand i let it fly and BBBOOOOOOOOMMMMMM there goes 100 feet of fly line!
i love that line so much, it's the perfect UK pike fly line!
"God's always with me;
standing beside me with his big black dick."

Paul Arden.
blackwater
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by blackwater »

Roll cast the head outside the rod tip. Getting the 30ft head outside the tip should be fairly easy even with a large fly tied on. If you fall a bit short you can always slip a small bit of line out as you pick up the head like Andy has said in the post above.
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Thanks guys.
That make sense.
Cheers
mike
www.betterflycast.com
Al Greig
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Al Greig »

Well this is interesting. I bought an Outbound Short Inter last winter. Its my first shooting head set up. Only today did I get a chance to fish it.

I can't get on with it at all :(

Wading thigh deep, heavy current, 4" long sandeel pattern. 9 foot eight weight.

I need to get a stripping basket for sure, because the running line sinks really quickly, but I doubt I was managing any more than 70'. There was a fairly strong wind onto the casting arm, which never helps, but still.... Loads of wind knots too, and I haven't been bothered by them for years.

I put my 8# windcutter floater on and nearly hit the backing knot (no tailing loops either...)

I feel that I want to hold more of the Outbound Short in the air before letting go, but of course you can't hold it too far into the overhang because it just collapses on the shoot.

So - can't shoot it very far, can't aerialise more line.

Bugger.

I'd appreciate some hints too!
Fook, wot spawt!
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

use more force ! :D
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

I have a few outbound shorts, inters and floaters, never had the running line sink. :glare:

I think the secret to casting the outbound, is to slow it down a bit, put the line speed in with the haul hand and dont beast the rod.
Al Greig
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Al Greig »

Marc LaMouche · Posted on May 26 2012,21:39
use more force !

For once, Marc, I think you're talking bollocks! :D
rrw35 · Posted on May 26 2012,21:41
I have a few outbound shorts, inters and floaters, never had the running line sink.

I think the secret to casting the outbound, is to slow it down a bit, put the line speed in with the haul hand and dont beast the rod.

My running line sinks, Ryan! Otherwise, I'll give that a go, thanks :)
Fook, wot spawt!
Gallah
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Gallah »

Am I understanding right that you cast 130 feet with one backcast?

That's some cast!!
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Yep you do understand correctly. Pick up with 45-50ft, and BoooooooM all line 120ft + short leader and some backing in the guides. This is during practice in fishing sytuation it might be few fet shorter( for me)
Cheers
mike
www.betterflycast.com
Al Greig
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Al Greig »

Okay - I tried again over grass this evening. Up to a measured eighty feet - one rollcast pick-up, one backcast, and the fluff lands ok, with a fair old tug on the reel. Past that, and the loop isn't unrolling before the whole lot is crashing into the ground. This is bad! I can cast a three weight a lot further!
~Even stripping all the line off the reel (this is an 8 OB short), I still shoot all the running line, but with a crashed loop, often off to one side, which suggests some tracking problems.

Any ideas how to get that loop to stay up longer?

Ta,
Al.
Fook, wot spawt!
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Hi
During my practice I had the same issue, I thought Im aiming already high, and haead was landing b4 unroling.
You need to experiment with your tajecktory, try as well to drift on the end of the forward stroke like a stubbing motion, this will amortize fast unroling head.
Works for me.
Cheers
mike
www.betterflycast.com
mattklara
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mattklara »

Al Greig wrote:Any ideas how to get that loop to stay up longer?

Ta,
Al.
Al,

Try switching out your fluff for a 4-5" baitfish pattern. I'm not joking. That will slow down the turnover alot just through air resistance. This is what the line was intended for. Not casting small wets or fluff.

Another comment I might add on these lines is that they are VERY heavy for their line designation. I'm familiar with the 9wt from my own fishing, which comes in at 375 grains. Compare that to my 400gr deepsea shooting heads that I fish on a 10wt T&T HII. I think that a 9wt head is easily manageable at 300-350 grains. So, if you arent liking the slow pace and sometimes "lobby" feel of the outbound short when matched with the same weight rod, try lining down one size. For me personally, if I am using smaller flies, the 9wt outbound short is more dreamy to cast on a 10wt than it is on a 9wt.

Take care.

mk
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?" - joesnuffy
Al Greig
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Al Greig »

Mike and Matt,

Thanks for the advice - both of you make a lot of sense.

Mike - I had been stopping as high as I could, like you had, with no real improvement. I'll try a drift on delivery.

Matt - I'll try that too. I remember Ben saying something about adding a poly-tip as well - maybe that'd have the same effect? And you are so right - I am really struggling with the "lobby feel". The comment about "slow pace" makes me think I'm still trying too hard - which ties in with what Ryan said about not monstering the rod.

Good stuff,
Thanks again gents :)
Fook, wot spawt!